Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   My Jeep won't start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/my-jeep-wont-start-21726.html)

JeepKid 04-13-2011 09:36 AM

My Jeep won't start

Well another issue right after the clicky noise and getting my door caught in the wind. F*** this week lol. Okay so as of yesterday when I went to start my Jeep it seemed like it had to struggle to start. This morning when I went to turn the vehicle on it wouldn't start.There's the click followed by a small push and thats it and now its just a dry click. The lights are working just fine so It's not the battery. Starter I'm thinking? What do you guys think.

JDM12 04-13-2011 09:42 AM

Re: My Jeep won't start

Starter is a good bet, but don't rule out your battery just based on your lights working. The starters require a little more juice to fire up, thus it could be drained enough to not turn over but still power accessories. Test your batt before you pull the starter off.

Crashtown 04-13-2011 10:10 AM

Try the simplist/easiest thing first. If you can jump start it and limp it to a place that can test the battery on it while it is running. I removed my battery and tested fine. Tried it in the vehicle while the engine was running and it tested bad. Replaced that battery with a $140 Sears Die Hard Gold and it been fine for three months.

JeepKid 04-13-2011 02:35 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try the battery first and go from there.

JeepKid 04-13-2011 10:59 PM

Okay well I had a friend jump start me and it started right up. I let it run for about 20 mins and tried turning it on again and it worked just fine so I let it sit for 4 hours and it started up again just fine. This was about an hour ago. I did forget to mention in my first post that when I first went to start the Jeep this morning the radio clock was reset to 12:00 and my mpg avg was sitting at 0.0. Is this a pretty good indication theres something up with the battery and not the starter?

Crashtown 04-14-2011 01:08 PM

If everything reset, it sounds like the battery is the culprit. Average Hemi battery life, from what I have read on here and the JU Forum, is around 36 months. It seems like a lot of Hemi starters have been going out at around 70K. I know you have the 3.7, but how many miles on your 08? It could be something as simple as the terminal not making good contact. I would still get that battery tested. It's better than the PITA of changing out a starter and still having the same issue.

JeepKid 04-14-2011 05:19 PM

My '08 is sitting at 51k miles. After that jump start last night it is running fine today. It is starting up just like before the issue began so I have no idea what happened to my battery.

JeepKid 04-18-2011 11:29 PM

Problema fixed! Finally headed to AutoZone today and got the battery tested and it was a faulty battery. Got it replaced and it runs like new. Update from my last post It died again two days ago and after jump starting it again it started up but it was having a real hard time starting. Thanks fellas for the info glad I didnt just go out and buy a new starter.

Crashtown 04-19-2011 08:20 AM

No problem. I was in the same boat in early January. I really, really, really, didn't want to to change a starter out in single digit temps. My WK did some wack glitchy stuff with that dying battery.