Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Alpine Type R's anyone??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/alpine-type-rs-anyone-2175.html)

Cyanide 08-20-2009 12:05 PM

Alpine Type R's anyone???

Do any of y'all have any experience with these? I've gave both the component set up and the two-way design a listen to many times over against other makes/brands, and for my musical taste and budget, I can't find anything that sounds better to my ears. Just wondering.....

blackpepper 08-20-2009 12:37 PM

Re: Alpine Type R's anyone???

Component speakers will keep the bass in the sound otherwise you'll need a sub to compliment the two ways.. anything will sound insane with the 10 speakers system in the niner.. I don't have experience with the alpine type R but technology is getting better every day and I used to have 2 way alpines in my ZJ.. I couldn't find a better make for my budget either.

Cyanide 08-21-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 49724)
Component speakers will keep the bass in the sound otherwise you'll need a sub to compliment the two ways.. anything will sound insane with the 10 speakers system in the niner.. I don't have experience with the alpine type R but technology is getting better every day and I used to have 2 way alpines in my ZJ.. I couldn't find a better make for my budget either.

Good deal Ryan! What I'm looking at doing is the components in the dash/front doors and the rear sound bar to replace the component style factory set-ups there, and then two ways in the rear doors. Not so much looking into a sub right now as I like having my cargo area for that exact purpose, though I have given thoughts of a Stealthbox down the road; way down the road. But, every time I hear my buddy's system, which is properly tuned and even when he cuts the subs off (for my music), my stuff still kick-ass and is extremely tight and punchy. DAMN!!!!!! :D

As for amp selection, I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the JBL 6-channel I've been looking at or possibly a pair of Fosgates or Alpine. Though right now my main focus is saving the $$$ for my new engine.

http://thespeedfreaks.net/images/smilies/devdude.gif Hehehehehehehehehe...................

BUBBADOG 08-21-2009 09:57 AM

I always used the type S in my grand and loved them

TimmyB 08-22-2009 11:43 AM

In my researching thru car audio forums I hear the type r's are good speakers. I go on diy all the time for info. I just did a nice system in my WK, I have componants front and rear, two amps hiden under a false floor i made in the cargo area, and temp sub box in the cargo area thats easily moved around when I need the seats down. For the front componants I have 6.5's, made a bracket out of 1/2" mdf and have both the mid and tweeter mounted to it side by side in the stock 6x9 location, and imaging is great. tweeters sound like they are up high in front above the dash. For the rears I mounted the 6.5 mid in the stock speaker location and mounted the tweeter on the door panel next to the speaker down low, sounds great back there.

I saved a ton of $$ searching on ebay daily, got all brand new JL gear for 1/3rd of the price. I actually already blew a front mid somehow and picked up a brand new set of jl xr's for $170 shipped.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC01647.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC01646.jpg

A-Mart 08-22-2009 01:36 PM

I just installed a singer r12 in my wk, search my name for the build thread. I'm VERY happy with the type-r, however I wish I would have put it in a larger box.

Grandcherokee51 08-22-2009 08:04 PM

I have 6x9 type s and they bump i can only imagine what the R,s are like. Go for it!!

Cyanide 08-23-2009 02:31 AM

Hmmmm, now this is fawking weird!

Went back to one of the stereo shops earlier with one of my favorite cd's to give another listen to multiple speakers being driven by the same head unit and amp for a fair comparison (head unit is the Sony GT-630UI, which is the same as I already have and love, and the amp was a Fosgate P-400). Strangely enough, both the component and the two-way Type S's sounded better than the Type R's; much better bass response and crisper highs. Just for comparison, here's how a few of the other major brands sounded in a quick summary (all 6.5" or 6.75" speakers)...

-Infinity 6022I: Muddy, overbearing bass.

-Kenwood 1682IE: Entirely too much midrange response, lack of bass.

-Sony GT1626A: Decent sound but lacking hard-hitting punch considering the power supplied.

:thumbsup:

Craig10114 08-23-2009 08:20 AM

I use to work at best buy selling car audio - i always sent people to the S's over the R's.... They just seem to be not as power hungry, and sound a lot better.

I have the same pair of Type R subs that i bought 6 years ago.... they still POUND. 500RMS speaker thats never been given more then 250 and youd swear i had 2 12's or more in the trunk.

TimmyB 08-23-2009 01:41 PM

Not sure of your budget, but there is a set of used Focal 6.5's for auction on ebay right now. IMO Focals are supreme speakers, all of there lines sound good to me.

But in my research on audio forums I came across a site called partsexpress.com, that sells audio gear for very decent money. Its alot more involved going that route, by purchaseing mids, tweets and crossovers seperately. From what i hear its alot more involved, especially going active instead of passive, but the sound quality is far better since your tayloring it to your specific car and not using factory crossovers set for a "one size fits all" type deal.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...74&ctab=2#Tabs

I hear the mids in the link above sound great and are very cheap IMO.

Cyanide 09-09-2009 09:02 AM

Focal speakers???

Allow me to please quickly ask a question. What's the big deal about Focal speakers? I read good reviews about them but the quantity of reviews I can find is extremely limited. Just curious and as always, thanks again for any and all info...

Another small (lol) note.....

As for power consideration, I'm really undecided how much I'm going to push right this moment. The amps I tested on them the other week were both listed as 50W RMS x 4 channels; the Alpine MRP-F300 and the Fosgate P400-4 (in that order as well). I wasn't able to see where the crossover points or gain had been set at, but the Fosgate kicked much harder than the Alpine, and pretty much knocked Alpine out for amp selection for supposedly being equal power output. Anyway, something in the power range between 50-100W RMS/Channel is most likely what I'll be getting, provided I can crank the volume loudly and not distort. I'm also considering the JL Audio G6600 since that would allow me to only need but one amp for the three sets of speakers in here (I'm not concerned with a sub at this time, if ever).

As for sound quality, be it by additional amp power or just receiver, the Type S speakers sounded better. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier, btw. Reading reviews from the various audio sites online, the Type R's seem to be a really good speaker, especially with a lot of power backing it. I'm just going off of my observation from what I heard, especially since I listen to stuff different than most people I know (death metal and hardcore)! I prefer just enough (tight) bass hitting for the kick drums and bass guitar, moderate midrange for the guitars w/o making the already lowered tuning and distortion muddy, and very "high" highs for the snare, high hat, ride, and cymbals.

So, with all that said, which would y'all prefer and why between the aforementioned speakers (Alpine S vs Alpine R), ran as a component set-up in front door/dash and rear sound bar, then two-ways in rear doors. And then for amp(s), the following...

-JL Audio G6600 (55W x 6 @ 12.5v/75W x 6 @14.4v, S/N Ratio 104dB, THD 1%, Freq, Response 10-25k Hz)
-Fosgate P400-4 (50W x 4 @ 14.4v, 85dB, 1%, 20-20k Hz)
-Fosgate T400-4 (60W x 4 @ 14.4v, 85 dB, 0.5%, 20-20k Hz)
-Fosgate T600-4 (100W x 4 @ 14.4v, 85 dB, 0.5%, 20-20k Hz)

Any other good, high quality amps y'all can recommend that compare to these w/o breaking the bank please add into your comments. I'm only listing these since I've never heard a Fosgate-powered system that didn't rock AND sound clean, and JL Audio seems to have a good reputation as well. Thanks y'all! More later.....

Matt 09-09-2009 09:20 AM

Re: Focal speakers???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 58904)
Allow me to please quickly ask a question. What's the big deal about Focal speakers? I read good reviews about them but the quantity of reviews I can find is extremely limited. Just curious and as always, thanks again for any and all info...

They're limited because they are a bit more expensive and aren't carried by as many shops as say Alpine, JL, or Kicker.

As with any speaker, you need to listen to them for yourself before you purchase. What one person may like, another may hate.

Speaker selection is very subjective!!!