Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   recalibrating speedo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/recalibrating-speedo-21818.html)

paroxysym 04-15-2011 09:38 AM

recalibrating speedo

so with the addition of the 32s to the rig im noticing the speedo is def off now and im wondering if thats something that an be recalibrated at the dealer. i know when i had my 05 ctd the dealer could recalibrate the speedo be giving the the rotations per mile or whatever that the tires had and that would work. i know on the older jeeps you could replace the speedo gear but thats not possible on the new ones.

or do i need a tuner? which im not prepared to buy yet..

Mr. Boh 04-15-2011 10:00 AM

Re: recalibrating speedo

The dealer can only recalibrate to a stock tire size so you won't find help there. You can use the Hypertech which will run you about $200.

mayor bloom 04-15-2011 10:42 AM

Superchips will help. Or if you want only tires I bought the egr thing from aev

Sent from my DROIDX

paroxysym 04-15-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayor bloom (Post 396406)
Superchips will help. Or if you want only tires I bought the egr thing from aev

Sent from my DROIDX

i was thinking of the EGR module from AEV. does tires, and some other cool little extras. $280 isnt THAT bad for it

Relwarc 04-15-2011 11:11 AM

Isnt the superchips around that much as well? gives performance tuning along with a tire size calibrator.

paroxysym 04-15-2011 11:17 AM

i thought the superchips was closer to the $400 mark if not more?

05wkguy 04-15-2011 11:36 AM

The AEV module also adjusts....whatever,lol....for the stabiltiy control to work better on a vehicle with more than a couple inches of lift.

CPT2010 04-15-2011 11:37 AM

http://4wheelonline.com/jeep/Product...oductId=257713
also offer a rebate on that page

misfit77 04-15-2011 02:11 PM

We should post a list people with the hardware and are willing to do this for others.

mayor bloom 04-15-2011 02:54 PM

ok, sorry for no pics or anything close, but I can give you better advise now that I am on a computer.

When I first went with a lift and bigger tires, I used my GPS as a speedo. This did nothing for shift points.

The first thing I purchased was the Superchips 3875. It went well for the first year or so, but I had to take my jeep into the dealership for some work and per superchips advise I returned it to stock before I went in. Upon getting the jeep back (3hrs or so, it was just in for a free oil change), I went to load my setting back on the jeep, ie larger tires, tune, etc. It would not load and kept telling me bad data. After many emails and phone calls back and forth, superchips could not find the problem. They told me for some reason my jeep was telling the flashpack that I had an 05 4.7l engine and a 06 tranny. Mind you I still actually had the 05 tranny, but they were cool about it and refunded me my money when I shipped the unit back to them with proof of purchase.

Now, opinion of the SC: The tire size calc was not that correct, I was running 265/75/17 which is basically a 32" tire, but to get my speedo and gps to match I had to set the tire size at 29.75". It did somewhat correct the shift points, I guess. As for the other features; I did like the 93 tune, hated the economy tune and never tried anything else. I did not see any mpg gain or loss due to either tune. I do think the SC tunes are more beneficial for the hemi guys.

Now I needed to find something else to fix my sppedo and shift points; looked at price and what they offer. My conclusion was the AEV EGR.

With the AEV EGR, my speedo is correct and I believe the shift points are as well. the bells and whistles are pretty much these; tilting the side mirrors when in reverse (couldn't get to work) and tapping the turn signal and it would blink only 3 tiimes (not a standard feature on my 05 and works great).

paroxysym 04-20-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayor bloom (Post 396559)
ok, sorry for no pics or anything close, but I can give you better advise now that I am on a computer.

When I first went with a lift and bigger tires, I used my GPS as a speedo. This did nothing for shift points.

The first thing I purchased was the Superchips 3875. It went well for the first year or so, but I had to take my jeep into the dealership for some work and per superchips advise I returned it to stock before I went in. Upon getting the jeep back (3hrs or so, it was just in for a free oil change), I went to load my setting back on the jeep, ie larger tires, tune, etc. It would not load and kept telling me bad data. After many emails and phone calls back and forth, superchips could not find the problem. They told me for some reason my jeep was telling the flashpack that I had an 05 4.7l engine and a 06 tranny. Mind you I still actually had the 05 tranny, but they were cool about it and refunded me my money when I shipped the unit back to them with proof of purchase.

Now, opinion of the SC: The tire size calc was not that correct, I was running 265/75/17 which is basically a 32" tire, but to get my speedo and gps to match I had to set the tire size at 29.75". It did somewhat correct the shift points, I guess. As for the other features; I did like the 93 tune, hated the economy tune and never tried anything else. I did not see any mpg gain or loss due to either tune. I do think the SC tunes are more beneficial for the hemi guys.

Now I needed to find something else to fix my sppedo and shift points; looked at price and what they offer. My conclusion was the AEV EGR.

With the AEV EGR, my speedo is correct and I believe the shift points are as well. the bells and whistles are pretty much these; tilting the side mirrors when in reverse (couldn't get to work) and tapping the turn signal and it would blink only 3 tiimes (not a standard feature on my 05 and works great).

im leaning towards the AEV strictly because of the tranny shift correction and the tire calib. i already have the one touch turn signals and i dont care about the mirror tilt. id get the superchips if i was hot rodding this thing around and couldnt keep my foot out of it- but i drive it like an old man. plus everyone says they get a boost in mpg but only when they keep their foot out of it, which is hard i bet with the tranny tunes and the bump in hp it can give you. plus i see you have to pay for the tranny tune and any upgraded tunes they have for your to download. :cool:

52233 04-21-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 396345)
so with the addition of the 32s to the rig im noticing the speedo is def off now and im wondering if thats something that an be recalibrated at the dealer. i know when i had my 05 ctd the dealer could recalibrate the speedo be giving the the rotations per mile or whatever that the tires had and that would work. i know on the older jeeps you could replace the speedo gear but thats not possible on the new ones.

or do i need a tuner? which im not prepared to buy yet..

Had mine calibrated at the dealer, no issues,I have 265-70-17's, with the 3.o diesel. I believe they told me they could only change the computer to accept a 255-70-17 and that was as high as they could program? I think i will try to see how much the mph is off with the GPS. The shift points seem okay.