Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   '00 WJ Transfer case vent location (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/00-wj-transfer-case-vent-location-21835.html)

Black_Lantern 04-15-2011 02:36 PM

'00 WJ Transfer case vent location

My 2000 Laredo (4.7 4x4) has a leaky transfer (#247) case. I replaced the seals and a mechanic told me the vent is probably clogged. I bought one but I can't find the freakin thing. The hose (feels like gas line) follows the axle towards the front then disappears somewhere between the tranny and the body.
Is it someone in the engine compartment?
Any help on this would be awesome, thanks.

Frango100 04-15-2011 03:32 PM

Re: '00 WJ Transfer case vent location

When i'm not wrong its on the LH side in the engine bay(looking from the drivers seat). At least on my 2004 WJ it is secured on the top of the LH upper shock bolt. It should be in a high position, to prevent water entering in it. Indeed when this one is blocked, there will be a pressure buildup inside the T-case due to thermal expansion and the fluid will probably leak through the seals

Black_Lantern 04-15-2011 04:01 PM

Frango, you're right. It was sitting right there the whole time. Thanks a lot, will change it later.

Frango100 04-15-2011 05:02 PM

But just to be sure that it is from the T-case, follow the hose. Because there should also be one for the front diff and maybe even for the tranny.

Black_Lantern 04-19-2011 12:07 PM

I'll try my best. Everything down there is a tight squeeze and hard to follow back. Maybe I'll tie a little bell to it and give it a yank, giggity.

Frango100 04-20-2011 08:41 AM

Just followed the line on mine, and found that the one i had mentioned before, which is secured to the left upper shock bolt (looking from drivers seat) in the engine bay, is going to the front diff housing. The one from the T-case is very nicely hidden behind the LH cilinder bank and the bulkhead.

Black_Lantern 04-28-2011 06:06 PM

I was away, sorry for getting back so late. I just ran out to the Jeep, it's too tight back there for me to see or feel around. I may just pull off the existing line and replace it, put on the new vent and zip tie it to the fuel fill tube next to the rear end vent hose. Might be the lazy way out, but it might work.

straty1987 04-28-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Lantern (Post 396545)
My 2000 Laredo (4.7 4x4) has a leaky transfer (#247) case. I replaced the seals and a mechanic told me the vent is probably clogged. I bought one but I can't find the freakin thing. The hose (feels like gas line) follows the axle towards the front then disappears somewhere between the tranny and the body.
Is it someone in the engine compartment?
Any help on this would be awesome, thanks.

the mechanic did not try to find out if it was clogged when changing the seal?

the vent hose end you see in the engine bay goes to the front differentiate.
the TC, transmission, and rear diff arento taht easy to find.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1388/jiggle.png

but there is a TSB on the 99-00 wj with the 247 http://wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_2101101.pdf about some oil getting out.

but did you have a leak form the seal or form another part?

also make sure you are using the right fluid form jeep.

Black_Lantern 05-03-2011 01:11 PM

Thanks Straty1987, that makes some sense. I did the seals myself and the mechanic said if that vent was clogged it could cause some pressure and make it leak. He's a good guy and didn't want to charge me parts and labor for something in my wheel house. I used the mopar fluid the book recommended.

Genesisgirl 05-18-2013 01:24 AM

AWESOME POST! I have been on Jeepforum for 2 days trying to find out about this vent. People have probably gotten rich by misdiagnosing this to customers!

Pays to do your own research, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

I hope this fixes my new leak from 1 mud pit... I just couldn't believe the t-case went over nothing!

`````````````````
2000 WJ V8
NP 247 J
3x Jeep owning CHICK!!!

Frango100 05-18-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesisgirl (Post 824992)
AWESOME POST! I have been on Jeepforum for 2 days trying to find out about this vent. People have probably gotten rich by misdiagnosing this to customers!

Pays to do your own research, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

I hope this fixes my new leak from 1 mud pit... I just couldn't believe the t-case went over nothing!

`````````````````
2000 WJ V8
NP 247 J
3x Jeep owning CHICK!!!

Welcome to the garage. Where was the leak coming from?

Genesisgirl 05-18-2013 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not quite sure, it started raining as soon as I went to go outside this morning. I hope I can fix by unclogging vents on t-case and diffs...