Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Great Negotiating Tool for Buying New JGC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/great-negotiating-tool-for-buying-new-jgc-21851.html)

andy53213 04-15-2011 08:36 PM

Great Negotiating Tool for Buying New JGC

Just ordered mine yesterday (MG, Saddle, Overland) and really thought that the Consumer Reports "Bottom Line Price Report" was super useful during the negotiation. I'm new to the site so maybe others have posted on this too...?

Anyway, the CR report gave me the dealer invoice and also alerted me to the $700 holdback so I had a very good idea what the dealer's cost was (they still probably get some kind of volume incentive on top of this I think..?).

So when I first pulled it out the sales guy was like, "that's not accurate, those things are a scam and I'll show you the actual invoice that I'm not supposed to show you anyway." So he comes back and the actual invoice matched the CR one IDENTICALLY! All of a sudden the price negotiation really felt like a much more level playing field.

I was reasonable and I understand they need to make a profit to stay in business so I offered about $200 over invoice which gave them about $1k profit including the holdback. They said yes right away which kind of made me feel like I should have asked for more but overall I am very happy with that price.

I would definitely recommend the CR Report to anyone else going into a negotiation, it just helps cut thru all the BS they throw at you.

My 2cents.

mjw930 04-15-2011 08:52 PM

Re: Great Negotiating Tool for Buying New JGC

Invoice price isn't a big secret anymore. The pricing Edmunds, KBB, NADA, Cars.com, etc. are all accurate and should match CR's numbers. However, CR's holdback number isn't accurate, it's 3% of MSRP so even the cheapest WK2 has roughly $900 holdback. There's also advertising co-op at roughly 2% but that's usually just credited to the dealer's regional advertising account.

Check out www.truecar.com, it's pretty darn accurate and tracks sales in your area to let you know how you compare.

Regardless, you got a good deal IMHO, good for you.

andy53213 04-15-2011 08:59 PM

Yeah, I'm happy with it. I forgot to mention I'm up in Canada so it seems like there are a lot less resources for us up here ... do Edmunds, truecar.com, etc have info on Cdn invoices too?

jcnaranjo 04-15-2011 09:17 PM

If you are or were in the military, sign up to USAA (usaa.com). They have a car buying service. I got 1k under invoice on my Summit. Real easy, just print out a certificate and take it in to the dealer.

mjw930 04-15-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy53213 (Post 396742)
Yeah, I'm happy with it. I forgot to mention I'm up in Canada so it seems like there are a lot less resources for us up here ... do Edmunds, truecar.com, etc have info on Cdn invoices too?

Ah, a Canuck, then forget everything I said :)

I don't think they do and it looks like most of the Canadian car price sites are pay sites so using CR sounds like a good deal if you're in the great white north.

Dan JGC 04-15-2011 09:59 PM

Affiliate pricing is 1% below invoice plus a $75 admin fee....easy and straightforward. Was fair enough for me...Oh, and did I mention that I love my Black Summit?

Lingohocken 04-15-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy53213 (Post 396729)
Just ordered mine yesterday (MG, Saddle, Overland) and really thought that the Consumer Reports "Bottom Line Price Report" was super useful during the negotiation. I'm new to the site so maybe others have posted on this too...?

Anyway, the CR report gave me the dealer invoice and also alerted me to the $700 holdback so I had a very good idea what the dealer's cost was (they still probably get some kind of volume incentive on top of this I think..?).

Interesting. We've been thinking of using that because CR apparently carries gorilla weight in the industry. Don't they also point you to cooperating dealers? I believe AAA has something similar, too.

andy53213 04-16-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 396811)
Interesting. We've been thinking of using that because CR apparently carries gorilla weight in the industry. Don't they also point you to cooperating dealers? I believe AAA has something similar, too.

I didn't check into the cooperating dealers thing but in hindsight that would have been helpful! It was really weird that the sales guy totally dismissed the CR report and then came back and it matched his invoice exactly. It would have been better dealing with someone who was already aware of it upfront as i don't particularly relish sticking it to someone. Anyway, I've only gone thru the new car buying experience once before and this time was so much better just having the dealer invoice pricing in hand.

dobiegillis 04-16-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 396772)
Affiliate pricing is 1% below invoice plus a $75 admin fee....easy and straightforward. Was fair enough for me...Oh, and did I mention that I love my Black Summit?

I got the treadlightly affiliate deal at 1% below invoice but the $75 fee was never brought up. They also agreed to take off an extra $100 to partially compensate for the doc fee. It was easy and I'm pleased given how hard summits are to find.

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4G using Tapatalk

ColdCase 04-16-2011 10:51 AM

The $75 is now built into the affiliate price, nothing extra. In many states the dealer document fee is negotiable.... and most dealers will negotiate, but that depends on how much they want to push the vehicle you are interested in. The end of a month is usually better.

Dan JGC 04-16-2011 11:00 AM

^^^ The regular build sheet etc. lists the MSRP, invoice, affiliate, and employee prices which doesn't include the $75 admin fee. When you go to buy they printout the price sheet that includes the $75 admin fee. It isn't a big amount anyway but be sure to read through the numbers...

dobiegillis 04-16-2011 01:12 PM

I didn't ask to see that since the price they offered turned out lower than I had calculated at home.

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4G using Tapatalk