Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Cherokee-SJ and XJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/)
-   -   Comanche? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/comanche-21860.html)

Jaster386 04-16-2011 12:54 AM

Comanche?

Not really a spot for this question. Since the Cherokee is the closest thing to a Comanche thought i would post it here. This is my project Jeep and at the moment my daily driver.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/DSC00105.jpg

It is a 1988 Jeep Comanche Eliminator. The photo was taken after we fixed the front right passenger side quarter panel. It had been in an accident before we bought it. Got a pretty good deal for $1200. It came with a replacement quarter panel, a desk, and a cover for the bed. The strange thing about it is that on the bed where it says Eliminator, it faintly says 4x4 underneath, but the truck is a 2x4. One of the long range goals is to actually make it a 4x4. The main question I have, is if any one has any ideas about any pre-existing roll bars that fit into the bed of the truck? I am hoping to go to the local junk yard and find one to pull. I know I have the option of trying to find a local shop to fab some for me, but I am trying to keep things cost effective.

My father was able to find a Comanche a few years after we found mine. His was in much better condition.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/DSCF0001.jpg

His is a 91 that is actually a 4x4 with a 5-speed (the purple one). We were looking for a new project to do for the summer and I thought this would be a good one to try. We have already lifted both, headers on both, new bumpers on both. We rebuilt the engine on his and did a lot of work on mine, such as rebuilding the entire head unit. Any help would be great, thanks.

StoneCold 04-16-2011 02:16 AM

Re: Comanche?

I want a Commanche so bad! Very nice bro:thumbsup:

4.whoa 04-16-2011 11:05 AM

Well, they did make them,but i dont think you'll be lucky enough to find one in a jy. did you do a google search for one?

Comanche's kick a$$ had one for my 1st "car" -traded it :banghead:
But,got another i'm work'n on :thumbsup:

1_\/\_WK 04-16-2011 11:09 AM

Nice! Def a very capable truck. GL!

4.whoa 08-17-2011 06:54 AM

it sucks they quit making them so early :mad:

pransom222 08-17-2011 10:44 AM

Still a very good truck.

NHWK05 08-21-2011 11:25 AM

Bad ass, By far my fav jeep ever made. Your look great.

Blue88Comanche 12-08-2011 10:58 AM

I own 3 Comanches and love all of them. If you want more info and how toos go to ComancheClub.com/forums
here is a link to my bride and Joy

Huntingman2706217 12-18-2011 05:24 PM

looks like the original post was long dang time ago... oh well now... lol... guy above me made me think it was somewhat fresh... lol

The roll bars were made... and believe it or not they even had a OEM brush guard they could have been ordered with, ask me how i know ;) i even had a OEM plastic bedliner that says comanche across the cab... i got out of comanches and never could sell it so i ended up chunking it... now i got a 90 4x4 ax-15 4.0 short bed and kickin myself... mines got every offroad option... dana 44 LSD rear, skids from front to rear, brush guard... and even harder options like the sliding back window and bucket seats... ill post pics one day when i can easier... probly after the holidays... pulling the drivetrain now so i can replace every dang seal and worn part on this thing... leaks like crazy and since its all gonna be out im just gonna go ahead and do all the mounts, clutch, a floor pan, and crap like that... paint and make it look new on the bottom... ill do body work and paint next year... anyways nice MJ man... i know this is a couple weeks old but im sure ill run into you some more... got a lot of knowledge with the ZJ,XJ's, and MJ's... a bit with the WJ's as well... so ill be posting a lot here im sure since i now got a WK2 and my other forum doesnt have a lot of support for them yet...

4.whoa 12-28-2011 11:05 AM

I've got 3 as well :thumbsup:One's down for a rebuild,the others are future projects. It's amazing how people like/respond to these. I've had bikers give me complements @ lights, a guy try to buy it off me at a gas station, and lots of people just wondering what it is........ it's MY baby! :D

Jaster386 01-22-2012 12:08 AM

Thanks for the link to the site. I will be spending a lot of time there. The roll has been moved to one of the back burners for the moment. At the moment, I have a leaking tranny and oil pan. I am just dealing with them for the moment, checking my fluids weekly. I just don't have the disposable funds for a fix at the moment. I did check into buying straight pipes and getting them bent to the shape I want, but it was going to be a little bit more than I thought.
When I bought my Comanche, it did come with a brush guard. It wasn't it too bad of condition. Some slight rust and corrosion. I didn't care for the look of it, so I removed it for a while. Then i switched to the tubular bumpers. I will try and get a pick of it tomorrow or next week and get it up.

mondo 01-22-2012 10:47 AM

Nice man! I have been looking around here, they are hard to find in decent shape. Congrats!