Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Coolant? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/coolant-21910.html)

Crestwood1001 04-17-2011 04:58 PM

Coolant?

My coolant is a bit low, its not leaking its just a tad lower then it should be. The other day i was in advanced auto getting detailing supplies and asked if they had coolant that would work.... he looked it up and couldnt find any info but another worker pointed to a bottle and said "this should work" I didnt pick any up but I am wondering if an auto parts store has it or if i need to go to the dealer?

Walt 04-17-2011 07:25 PM

Re: Coolant?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 397491)
My coolant is a bit low, its not leaking its just a tad lower then it should be. The other day i was in advanced auto getting detailing supplies and asked if they had coolant that would work.... he looked it up and couldnt find any info but another worker pointed to a bottle and said "this should work" I didnt pick any up but I am wondering if an auto parts store has it or if i need to go to the dealer?

Went through the exact same story. I left and went to the dealer's parts department.

I bought the gallon jug of MOPAR HOAT at $18. It's full strength, so it actually makes 2 gallons. I know that it is 100% compatible with what is in there (I like that peace of mind). BTW: That stuff probably lists at $24 per gallon, but parts dept dropped the price because they weren't selling any. See if you can talk them down.

Now I have 1.8 gallons worth of HOAT left. Another jug of specialty fluid on the garage shelf. :rolleyes:

StoneCold 04-18-2011 07:49 AM

Dealer only as far as I'm aware bro:thumbsup:

Crestwood1001 04-18-2011 10:54 PM

Im glad I was smart enough not to listen to those dip shits lol thanks guys

jeepsrule 04-19-2011 05:01 AM

I can only get it from the dealer here in Australia, Mopar are the only one that make HOAT from what I was told cost me AU$95 for 5 litres!!! Any other brand coolant doesn't comply with the manufacturers specs.

I just performed a flush, clean and new coolant, new stuff is suppose to last 5 years or 150,000 kilometres

StoneCold 04-19-2011 05:40 AM

How much?!? Bloody hell. I got 5 litres from the dealer for 11.

Drew 04-19-2011 09:21 AM

You would be perfectly fine topping off with the pre-mixed universal coolant in a Hoat system. Hoat is easy because it is a hybrid, both organic like dexcool and inorganic like conventional ethyl. :thumbsup:
No worries like you'd have mixing dex and ethyl....:eek:

Crestwood1001 04-19-2011 07:41 PM

How hard is it to flush the system? If im going through the trouble to go to the dealer I might as well just get enough to flush and fill the system with fresh stuff.

Chaoul1 04-19-2011 08:50 PM

You can buy it at a NAPA near you the Coolant for ours WK's! That where I bought mine!

JeepCoop 04-26-2011 07:07 PM

Is it bad that I added 50/50 Prestone to my overflow? It was down since I forgot to add some back after my 180 tstat install...Just noticed and my dealer was closed so I added a lil Prestone for now...