Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Anybody Considering LR4? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/anybody-considering-lr4-21925.html)

PaddysPub 04-17-2011 08:45 PM

Anybody Considering LR4?

Was looking at the GC Overland & Summit for the past few months and also keeping one eye on the LR4. Just pulled the trigger on the LR4. Just too good (IMO) of a lease deal to pass up. Not trying to start a Jeep vs. LR controversy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the new GC. Test drove both. Liked both. Ended up liking the LR4 for being bigger and more room inside. Future wife liked LR4 better too. Got to keep her happy... right? Ha. Getting rid of '06 X3. Didn't have any of the transmission nightmares that have plagued that model. That's a different thread altogether. But needed to upgrade to bigger vehicle overall.

Just wondered if anybody else has been trying to decide between the LR4 and GC. Thoughts?

jcnaranjo 04-17-2011 09:01 PM

Congrats! I looked at the LR4 and loved it. Love the new Jag V8 with lots of extra power, and the cargo room is awesome. But as the saying goes "Happy Wife Happy Life!". She hated the looks of it. She likes rounder lines. The LR4 HSE was little too pricey for me. I ended up using USAA car buying service and got an awesome deal on a V6 Summit, mineral gray, saddle/black... Enjoy your LR4!!

Dan JGC 04-17-2011 09:04 PM

Re: Anybody Considering LR4?

I would have gotten more serious in my new car search had the new GC's not come out...everyone was saying I needed to look at the Land Rovers.....not sure which one I would have gotten serious with though....although the Evoque looks like it might be interesting.

The GC though is just the right size for my needs...so got another GC and am loving the Summit.

PaddysPub 04-17-2011 09:05 PM

Yeah I was/am eligible for the USAA price too and the lease deal was based on a sales price that was actually lower than the USAA price. And yes have to keep HER happy. And she was a Jeep girl too. She had a Wrangler and loved it. I'm hoping the LR gremlins took a sick day when mine was built. :eek: We'll see.

Have you had any issues with your GC?

Dan JGC 04-17-2011 09:11 PM

^^^ Don't know if you were asking me or the other poster. No problems at all (knock on Black Olive burl real wood trim)...

jcnaranjo 04-17-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddysPub (Post 397640)
Yeah I was/am eligible for the USAA price too and the lease deal was based on a sales price that was actually lower than the USAA price. And yes have to keep HER happy. And she was a Jeep girl too. She had a Wrangler and loved it. I'm hoping the LR gremlins took a sick day when mine was built. :eek: We'll see.

Have you had any issues with your GC?

Just the rear window which has been an issue with the 2011 GC. The glue that holds the hinges and shock assemblies has been coming off. I had it come off of one hinge. My dealer was able to get the part right away and it was fixed. I am getting a TSB done on it Wednesday for performance improvements on the V6 . Everyone that has done it is very happy with the improved performance. Other than that, I have had no real issues. I love the looks of the WK2. I traded my 3 series BMW for this... I am very happy.

http://tapa.tk/mu/ae37dcfa-a555-d6b7.jpg

jcnaranjo 04-17-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 397639)
I would have gotten more serious in my new car search had the new GC's not come out...everyone was saying I needed to look at the Land Rovers.....not sure which one I would have gotten serious with though....although the Evoque looks like it might be interesting.

The GC though is just the right size for my needs...so got another GC and am loving the Summit.

I test drove the WK2, Lr4, mdx, toureg, Xc90, q5, x3/5, Tahoe, and explorer. The WK2 was one of the first ones I test drove and after my test drive marathon, I decided on the GC. I just fell in love with its lines, luxurious interior, options, and most importantly the off road ruggedness of Jeep... Other than the LR4, none of the others had this trait...

Lingohocken 04-17-2011 10:20 PM

Ditto that -- happy wife, happy life even after 35 years. Mine, too, is a Jeep gal although the LR4 or Evoque would be our second choice. The LR4 is just too far from what she likes to look at (Evoque's closer), and I don't much care for service issues: mediocre reliability record, only two area dealers neither being very good at service (one fair, one lousy), and few repair options when we hit the asphalt to visit relatives in the rural Midwest and go offroading.

That said, they are damn fine performers on and off road. And, unlike in the distant past, actually have gobs of room for a big guy like me. I certainly can relate to someone going that route, but for us we'll continue happily with good ol' American Jeeps!

OneCent 04-18-2011 02:12 AM

The LR4 is a great car, just a little bit too expensive for me. But i like the design and you really get a lot of space inside.

jeepster23 04-18-2011 04:59 AM

I have considered the LR4 but their deplorable reliability history led me to pretty much eliminate it immediately, which is a shame because they are beautiful trucks.

ColdCase 04-18-2011 06:16 AM

Yeah the LR is nice, when its running. After the poor experience of my neighbor I did not look at one, though I was tempted.

BuckeyeSRT 04-18-2011 06:36 AM

I am right in the middle of it right now. I am having a hard time justifying the extra cash for the LR4. Still have not made a decision although 10:10 AM EST today might help me . :)