Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Anybody Considering LR4?

10K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  PECo 
#1 ·
Was looking at the GC Overland & Summit for the past few months and also keeping one eye on the LR4. Just pulled the trigger on the LR4. Just too good (IMO) of a lease deal to pass up. Not trying to start a Jeep vs. LR controversy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the new GC. Test drove both. Liked both. Ended up liking the LR4 for being bigger and more room inside. Future wife liked LR4 better too. Got to keep her happy... right? Ha. Getting rid of '06 X3. Didn't have any of the transmission nightmares that have plagued that model. That's a different thread altogether. But needed to upgrade to bigger vehicle overall.

Just wondered if anybody else has been trying to decide between the LR4 and GC. Thoughts?

#2 ·
Congrats! I looked at the LR4 and loved it. Love the new Jag V8 with lots of extra power, and the cargo room is awesome. But as the saying goes "Happy Wife Happy Life!". She hated the looks of it. She likes rounder lines. The LR4 HSE was little too pricey for me. I ended up using USAA car buying service and got an awesome deal on a V6 Summit, mineral gray, saddle/black... Enjoy your LR4!!

#3 ·
I would have gotten more serious in my new car search had the new GC's not come out...everyone was saying I needed to look at the Land Rovers.....not sure which one I would have gotten serious with though....although the Evoque looks like it might be interesting.

The GC though is just the right size for my needs...so got another GC and am loving the Summit.

#7 ·
I test drove the WK2, Lr4, mdx, toureg, Xc90, q5, x3/5, Tahoe, and explorer. The WK2 was one of the first ones I test drove and after my test drive marathon, I decided on the GC. I just fell in love with its lines, luxurious interior, options, and most importantly the off road ruggedness of Jeep... Other than the LR4, none of the others had this trait...

#4 ·
Yeah I was/am eligible for the USAA price too and the lease deal was based on a sales price that was actually lower than the USAA price. And yes have to keep HER happy. And she was a Jeep girl too. She had a Wrangler and loved it. I'm hoping the LR gremlins took a sick day when mine was built. :eek: We'll see.

Have you had any issues with your GC?

#6 ·
Just the rear window which has been an issue with the 2011 GC. The glue that holds the hinges and shock assemblies has been coming off. I had it come off of one hinge. My dealer was able to get the part right away and it was fixed. I am getting a TSB done on it Wednesday for performance improvements on the V6 . Everyone that has done it is very happy with the improved performance. Other than that, I have had no real issues. I love the looks of the WK2. I traded my 3 series BMW for this... I am very happy.

#5 ·
^^^ Don't know if you were asking me or the other poster. No problems at all (knock on Black Olive burl real wood trim)...

#8 ·
Ditto that -- happy wife, happy life even after 35 years. Mine, too, is a Jeep gal although the LR4 or Evoque would be our second choice. The LR4 is just too far from what she likes to look at (Evoque's closer), and I don't much care for service issues: mediocre reliability record, only two area dealers neither being very good at service (one fair, one lousy), and few repair options when we hit the asphalt to visit relatives in the rural Midwest and go offroading.

That said, they are damn fine performers on and off road. And, unlike in the distant past, actually have gobs of room for a big guy like me. I certainly can relate to someone going that route, but for us we'll continue happily with good ol' American Jeeps!

#11 ·
Yeah the LR is nice, when its running. After the poor experience of my neighbor I did not look at one, though I was tempted.

#14 ·
I don't know if the lease deal I got is a LR wide offer or not but I did see it at the other LR dealership in my area. I don't know if leasing is an option for you or not but just a suggestion. It worked out for me due to that and the payoff and trade in amount I got through Carmax. FYI Carmax cam in at 2k higher for my '06 X3 than the Stealership did.

#13 ·
Ahh yes.. the reliability issues. Yeah I'm not very excited about those issues. I have been reading that some of these issues are a "little" bit overstated especially with the newer models AND that the issues are somewhat limited to minor electrical issues that can be fixed with a software update or replacing a module, etc. The other good thing for me is that the dealership is less than a mile up the street from where I live. I can say that if I do have major problems with this new truck I will be jumping back over to a GC Overland! Fingers crossed for no problems though. :D

#17 ·
It depends on what you are looking at. If you are looking at an Overland Summit and a Base LR4 They are very close both may even be the same like 48k. Now having said that the one I went with is the LR4 HSE with Climate PKG and that bumps up to 54K. BUT, the lease deal and the better than USAA price brought it down to about 2k more than MSRP of the Summit. Yes more expensive but unless you are looking at the HSE LUX model which is getting you above 60K then you are still somewhat in the ballpark

#18 ·
I'm also considering the LR4 along with the GC. Have not taken a test drive yet, but plan to. The styling is stunning, great color selection, good interior space and excellent capability. Check out their brochure and web site, it's very convincing. My only reservation is the reliability history, but I think that's improving. I would be interested in your experience with the new LR4. Good luck.

#21 ·
Looked at the LR4. Wasn't impressed with the reliability reviews, nor the "boxy" look of it. I'm currently driving a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited with close to 190K on the clock that's still running strong. Decided after seeing the awesome job they did with the 2011, to stay with the brand and am taking delivery this week on a Mineral Gray with Light and Dark Frost Beige Overland! Oh yeah, and for almost 30K LESS!:thumbsup: I've always felt I'd rather buy the "Top" of one brand, vs. the "Bottom" of another.;)

#23 ·
Well I suppose that's true. :lol:

#25 ·
Congrats. Sound like you got a great deal. :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you as well.

#27 ·
I currently own an '08 LR3, which I love. But the warranty will be out in April, and I'm due for brakes. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Overland V8, but I'm afraid it will feel like too much of a downgrade, and I'll wish I had upgraded to an LR4. Cost will probably govern, and I'll end up with the JGC. Summit doesn't seem worth the extra cost.

#29 ·
I currently own an '08 LR3, which I love. But the warranty will be out in April, and I'm due for brakes. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Overland V8, but I'm afraid it will feel like too much of a downgrade, and I'll wish I had upgraded to an LR4. Cost will probably govern, and I'll end up with the JGC. Summit doesn't seem worth the extra cost.
Downgrade? Not in my mind. I traded my 08 Sport SC for a V8 Overland last month an will never look back. The Rover was a PITA, especially since it's 6 hours to the nearest dealer for me.

#28 ·
You probably can't go wrong with either one. But I can tell you I love my Summit and get comments on it all the time...the black and saddle combo are just perfect. The 2011 is a huge step up in luxury from the previous version. It is a great vehicle for sure. Test drive both and see which is best for you..good luck.

#30 ·
Considering the "Bang for your Buck" you get with the Overland, I can't imagine how you'd consider it anything other than a wise purchasing decision. I'm with you on the Summit however. Not being a big fan of the bling/chrome, I think the Overland is much classier. JMHO.

#32 ·
The "bang for your buck" was a big factor for me as well. I have a buddy that just purchased an ML 350 for a lot more than I paid for the Overland and he doesn't have nearly the options. But he is more into "the badge" than I am. Like you, I can do with out the chrome. I'm not sure why some companies associate chrome with luxury.

#33 ·
And "faux" chrome at that. :rolleyes:

#34 ·
I have been internally debating between a wk2 and a LR4 for a few months now.

My main car for the last 14 years has been a 1997 Land Rover Discovery...she's a pig, but i still love her, despite two head gasket jobs, a lower block being replaced at 100k and incurable transfer case leaks (but surprisingly no lucas prince of darkness electrical problems) I am definitely partial to the rover brand, but i am very very VERY impressed with the new wk2. Here was my take on the two (personal opinion, your mileage may vary…)

1. Price. Not sure how people are quoting a 5k difference...i see wk2's selling at 1k under invoice....@42k for a overland v8 with oraII pkg. In San Diego, i am not seeing much of a deal for a rover...a HSE with rear locker (which is a major pain to find) is @52k...about 1k under msrp! 10grand difference! Say 9g if i get a better deal on a rover that i am currently seeing...If i put 10k down, that means i have a 25% bigger car payment for the LR4...adv jeep....simply a much better value.

2. MPG: ok, i realize talking about mpg while discussing v8 suv's is kind of absurd, but this is just a pet peave of mine. On the highway, the rover barely gets better mpg than my 14 year old pig...17mpg...vs say 20 or so for the 6spd 2012 wk2....and i don't have to use premium gas....add the extra @2 gallons in the fuel tank and you see a considerable range gap between the two...while i realize wheeling in the desert will reduce the gap, its still annoying...especially with their wonderful diesel available in the ROW..adv jeep...although to be fair, they both suck.

3. Cargo space: If i was single, i wouldn't care, put the back seats down, and either car would have more than enough space...but with two kids, the rear cargo area is important. The Rover has 22% more space, and its not inconviencend by the sloping rear door....funny enough, this has been the single biggest factor on not pulling the trigger on the wk2...if anyone who has a wk2 can share their experiences, i would appreciate it. Adv Rover...

4. Performance: a wash. I thought they were both great on the road, and from what i can read, will both be more than i need off piste...it is annoying that i have to look very hard to get the rear lockers options for the lr4, and the trail rated option is a good gimmick by Jeep.

5. Interior cabin: both very nice...and while my wife doesn't necessarily agree with me, i preferred the rovers...a bit more elegant, the hd nav system looked crisper, i hate the foot parking brake on the wk2, prefer the seating angle of the rover...but its all probably personal preference....call it a slight nod to the rover...but 10k should buy you something, no?

6. Target market: While both are luxurious, it seems to me that the jeep is marketed as an accomplished 4x4 that is luxurious while the LR4 is a luxury car that is incredible off road. Case in point: if i want a HD rear locker in the US, but i don't want the 9k luxury package option, i need to special order based on their current supply. When was the last time you saw a lr4 without a soccer mom and 5 kids? And lets talk about tires….the rover can be ordered with 19 or 20 inch wheels. There is not a 18inch option…in fact, i have been told the old lr3 18in wheels do not fit over the lr4's brakes….there is jack in availability for AT tires in 19inch…..you take one of the most capable stock off road vehicles on the planet and you can't put a decent AT tire on it? Also look under the rover, one of the lowest points is the exhaust…that just doesn't make any sense….I love the LR4, but if they had a stripped down version with a diesel…or a 4 door Defender, i would pull the trigger tonight. Look, the lr4 is a fantastic car, but its not what i really want. I want a LAND rover, not a RANGE rover light....and they just don't seem to sell those in the US anymore. To quote Land Rover's brand director "We don't talk about off road capability any more"…and thats the problem

So, were do i stand…right in the middle….prefer the rover over all, but the jeep is a much better value, if only i could get over the cargo area….or the extra 10k! :) I don't think you can loose on either purchase. If anyone has pictures of their back cargo area filled up with gear, please post. As i stated earlier, for some quirky reason, thats an issue for me.

#35 ·
Honestly, the little extra chrome on the Summit completes it for me....the chrome grill insert isn't at all over the top and many people add chrome fog lamp bezels anyway. The bright polished wheels are preferred over the painted wheels. So, can't figure out what all the extra chrome some complain about! I love it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.