Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Air Bag Helper Springs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/air-bag-helper-springs-21956.html)

taylorb 04-18-2011 03:38 PM

Air Bag Helper Springs

Has anyone looked at or better yet purchased any air bag/helper springs yet? Id like to level out the rear end when towing my boat

Ive been looking at the Firestone Coil-Rite and the Air Lift 1000 bags so far. Im also not sure if I would go for the compressor and controller or not ideally Id like to get something I could wire into the extra space where the air suspension switches are for the Overland at some point.

mjw930 04-18-2011 03:43 PM

Re: Air Bag Helper Springs

So, it sounds like you have a version that didn't come from the factory with the Tow Group IV package because that comes with rear load leveling suspension. Perhaps you can retrofit the factory load leveling to your WK2?

taylorb 04-18-2011 04:57 PM

Hmm - when I bought it the deal installed the receaver and what not but told me that the only way they could get rear load leveling was with the quadra-lift which only came with the overland. Basically I would have to do a custom order if I wanted a limited with load leveling (sounds like I was lied to)... In any case looking at the Mopar parts store it does look like you can buy the air lift package for about $450 and it's unclear if that's both sides or just one and dosn't look like it has the compressor etc...

bpmcgee 04-19-2011 02:20 PM

There are a LOT of parts for the air suspension. You'd have to replace all 4 corners too, since it's not JUST a load levelling.

B

Redcivic47 04-19-2011 02:52 PM

i thought the non-quadra lift load leveling are shocks that adjust when they move up and down and adjust the height based on where the shock is traveling without air suspension. So when the load is removed the more u ride over bumps it levels itself back down to normal ride position.

taylorb 04-19-2011 03:29 PM

That's would I would have expected based on the way the towing package is setup but that's dosen't seem to give with what's on the mopar parts site... Might just have to ask my buddy at the service department to take a look at one.

-taylor

vikingdave 04-19-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorb (Post 398253)
Hmm - when I bought it the deal installed the receaver and what not but told me that the only way they could get rear load leveling was with the quadra-lift which only came with the overland. Basically I would have to do a custom order if I wanted a limited with load leveling (sounds like I was lied to)... In any case looking at the Mopar parts store it does look like you can buy the air lift package for about $450 and it's unclear if that's both sides or just one and dosn't look like it has the compressor etc...

If you purchased the tow package it will have the load-leveling rear shocks even on models without Quadra-Lift. Certainly you could purchase these same factory parts and upgrade yours. Non Quadra-Lift models with the tow package will self-level after driving a short distance, it wont be instantaneous after hooking up the trailer. It works really well though and doesn't rely on any compressor or electronics, just good old-fashioned oil. Why is it that dealers are so utterly ignorant about stuff like this. I can see why the average Joe may think that it only comes on models with QL, but the dealer should know better.

jeep2011 04-19-2011 05:37 PM

+1 to adding the load leveling shocks they are highly praised in the auto world. It would be much cheaper and less to go wrong.

jwernatl 06-19-2012 09:39 PM

Taylorb what did you end up doing? I needed the same for my '05 I'm pulling a pull behind camper. I just received (2 or 3 days after ordering on the internet) the FIRESTONE Coil Rite set up. It looks pretty straight forward. I'll try and get it in this weekend - It was $85.00 from SUSPENSION CONNECTION It also came w/shipping.

bit50 06-20-2012 04:55 PM

Load leveling shocks don't seem to do anything for heaving loads. When towing 6400 lbs i had sagging. I plan to look into airbags when I hopefully get my new boat :)

taylorb 06-21-2012 03:52 PM

I ended up putting the firestone coil rites on and I've had them for about a year now... They help and for less than $100 I don't think you can go wrong with them - however they are far from perfect, I still get some sag and going over passes etc I can feel the front end lift during acceleration but at the end of the day it's not a 3/4 Ton truck so I don't really expect it to tow like one.

-taylorb