Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Sharkfin antenna experience (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/sharkfin-antenna-experience-21961.html)

rich mac 04-18-2011 04:17 PM

Sharkfin antenna experience

1 Attachment(s)
With all the threads about the Sharkfin antenna both pro and con,
I thought I'd share my experience with the install and performance of the antenna.

Order experience:
Ordered: 04-10 (Sunday)
Order confirmed: 04-11
Shipped USPS: 04-15
Received: 04-18

Visual inspection:
Paint and metallic bits were even and bright.
When placed on hood to compare, with a critical eye there was a slight difference in shade. No noticeable difference seen when installed.

Installation:
Followed instructions exactly, alignment was a little tricky to eyeball.
Taped completely around the antenna, then used the existing antenna base as a point of reference to help with left to right alignment and to see that the antenna would not touch the oem antenna base.
Remembered to snugly tighten the screw attaching coiled sharkfin antenna lead to oem antenna base.
Peeled adhesive backing and pressed antenna firmly in place for two minutes - seemed like a lot longer than two minutes!

Install location:
I am located about 25 miles north of the Tulsa metra area.
Inside the garage with the door closed (sheet metal door)
Overcast day, approx 78 degrees F.

Performance:
Using the scan function of the 730N (rer):
With oem antenna, factory setup: Scan found 12 AM stations, 34 FM stations.
With sharkfin antenna: Scan found 7 AM station, 29 FM stations. All missing stations were received using the direct tune function.
I noticed no difference in Sat radio reception. Some days I can get signal inside the garage, some days I can't. Today I got good signal with all stations I tried, with both antennas.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase and appearance of the antenna. I think the price and shipping is a little high ($69+$12). About $49+$7 would be more in line, even with the custom paint.

I hope this helps those who are 'on the fence' about purchase.
rich mac

kaflyboy 04-18-2011 05:26 PM

Re: Sharkfin antenna experience

Very good write up... i'm gonna try to install mine tonight.

Cperez 04-18-2011 05:31 PM

Solid, evidence-based report, rich mac. Even though each individual's situation will be different based on enviro/weather/topographical (and possibly other) conditions, this is the way to evaluate a piece of hardware IMO.

+rep for taking the time to share your metrics with current and prospective sharkfin customers.

kaflyboy 04-18-2011 06:47 PM

I just put my sharkfin on... you have to understand, i have absolutely no mechanical ability nor any interest in becoming mechanical. i put the sharkfin on in 10 minutes, and did a good job. it's strait. i didnt even mess with the tape to line it up right.

the reception is perfect. no loss. gonna sound crazy, but, i think the am stations pick up better. the satellite works better in my garage where with the pig tail antenna didnt work all the time in the garage.

thumbs up so far assuming it stays on for the next few weeks.

J13ntv 04-18-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 398310)
I just put my sharkfin on... you have to understand, i have absolutely no mechanical ability nor any interest in becoming mechanical. i put the sharkfin on in 10 minutes, and did a good job. it's strait. i didnt even mess with the tape to line it up right.

the reception is perfect. no loss. gonna sound crazy, but, i think the am stations pick up better. the satellite works better in my garage where with the pig tail antenna didnt work all the time in the garage.

thumbs up so far assuming it stays on for the next few weeks.

Sharkfin should have no effect on Sat.. Granted its not going to improve SAT performance :lol:

I also read if you have the 730 the sat antenna is in the dash? Not sure if its true as the roof antenna also looks like its SAT size...