Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   How to go about Retro fitting projectors? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/how-to-go-about-retro-fitting-projectors-21969.html)

05WK 04-18-2011 08:35 PM

How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
I have seen the aftermath of this done, but never the process. Could someone help me out with tips/suggestions? I've searched the threads and only found a site that sells the projectors.

Is there cutting or sautering involved??

I want projectors!! but the proj headlights for the 05-07 are not my style.....:)

Scottina06 04-18-2011 08:48 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Look in the "how to" forum.....everything you need to know

TheAngryMinnow 04-18-2011 09:37 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
you havent looked hard enough, theres at least 3 how to's

05WK 04-18-2011 11:00 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Thanks guys! I'll have to check there first next time!! Haha

NikonKiem 04-19-2011 09:00 AM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Is your dog dumping in your signature ?

05WK 04-19-2011 12:18 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 398623)
Is your dog dumping in your signature ?

Idk how your dogs dumps... but hes pissing. haha

05WK 04-19-2011 12:19 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 398397)
Look in the "how to" forum.....everything you need to know

Help a guy out.. Searched all five pages and not a one talks of retro fitting projectors...

Found a thread from kerndone, but its not a how to thread. only his updates.

NikonKiem 04-19-2011 03:59 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Lol he squats when He pisses?

vstone 04-19-2011 10:17 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 398901)
Lol he squats when He pisses?


Haha Mine does too.. But hes a Wienerdog and his dick is only 3 inches from the ground..lol

robpp 04-19-2011 10:30 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 398385)
I have seen the aftermath of this done, but never the process. Could someone help me out with tips/suggestions? I've searched the threads and only found a site that sells the projectors.

Is there cutting or sautering involved??

I want projectors!! but the proj headlights for the 05-07 are not my style.....:)



pmpn8ez has some posts about his retrofit.......
also some under my ID about mine

based on your post and concern about soldering (i think) this is not a project for you.

pay someone to do it. gonna be about a 600 - 1G depending on all the options and components used.

there are some EASY KITs search on G5 Projectors or check ebay, these do NOT require any crazy mounting, are MOSTLY PnP however they are chinese cheap made so some caution needed, still need to open headlights and such. again, not for everyone.



last option is to do a 08+ retrofit and get OEM Projector lamps as part of it.
you need lamps, grille, bumper, bumper suppport. there are stickies about that in wk section/

05WK 04-19-2011 11:09 PM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 399392)
pmpn8ez has some posts about his retrofit.......
also some under my ID about mine

based on your post and concern about soldering (i think) this is not a project for you.

pay someone to do it. gonna be about a 600 - 1G depending on all the options and components used.

there are some EASY KITs search on G5 Projectors or check ebay, these do NOT require any crazy mounting, are MOSTLY PnP however they are chinese cheap made so some caution needed, still need to open headlights and such. again, not for everyone.



last option is to do a 08+ retrofit and get OEM Projector lamps as part of it.
you need lamps, grille, bumper, bumper suppport. there are stickies about that in wk section/

WOW didnt think it would cost that much $$$$$$. Im sticking with my original lights. Thanks robpp for the info

JDubya 04-20-2011 02:00 AM

Re: How to go about Retro fitting projectors?
 
To retrofit a set of projectors into halogen reflectors, first you cut a hole in the center of the reflector just big enough to fit the bowl of the projector into. You have to make sure the projector stays level and aimed the same as the halogen was. Then bolt the projector to the reflector using spacers of some sort. Some people use springs (easier) but I like the rigidity of spacers. I also coated the back of the reflector/projector "seam" with JB Weld for extra security.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/diagram2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...trofitback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ofitspacer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rofitfront.jpg

Then you need to make some kind of shroud to keep light from spilling out the sides of the projector. The only light you see should come from the lens.

I used fleece and fiberglass resin to create the [black] shroud

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../SHROUD_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../SHROUD_02.jpg

Then for aesthetics, I added a chrome bezel from a set of BMW headlights.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...udprogress.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...er/WJHID-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...er/WJHID-4.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community