Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Thanks for the Memories (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/thanks-for-the-memories-21975.html)

Sid Fields 04-18-2011 10:07 PM

Thanks for the Memories

5 Attachment(s)
Left my 2000 GC at the dealers for the last time this weekend. This was a great car. It got us all over the East Coast for 11 years . Made countless trips to NY to visit family, friends and pick up some real pizza, drove through sand and mud on our bi annual trips to the Outer Banks. When the heavy snow came and the "We hate SUV" crowd stayed home I picked up coworkers and drove to work.
Truth be told there were some things that were starting to fade. The cassette player (remember those), stopped working ages ago. The CD changer worked except on some days when it didn't. Most of the speakers were tinny and scratchy. I had a portable Garmin plugged into the cigarette lighter. It worked very well. Bluetooth was another matter. It paired with my phone but the sound was horrible even after hooking up speakers and a microphone so it was painful to use except for urgent calls. It wasn't hands free. I plugged an Ipod into the other 12 V outlet to transmit to the FM radio. There was usually static and I had to go searching for stations when I traveled.
It needed shocks, the tires were getting worn and the engine light was on most of the time something with the catalytic convertor. It was time but I am sorry to see it go.

Ah! But I drove home in a brand new Mineral Gray, Saddle/Black , Overland with Off Road and Advanced Warning /Adaptive Cruise Packages. Plugged in the Ipod, fired up the Hemi told the system to call home and I was on my way. To be continued....

White WK Swagga 04-18-2011 10:10 PM

Re: Thanks fot the Memories

LOL Nice story. Good luck with the new jeep! And yea NYC has REAL PIZZA for sure!!! LOL

moosehead 04-18-2011 10:13 PM

Congrats SF, enjoy the new beast. Now your co-workers will be asking you for a lift on nice days and pizza days as well as in the blizzards.

J13ntv 04-18-2011 11:48 PM

+1 on real pizza.. and bagels.. :lol:

oh and best of luck with the new jeep, you'll love it!

BOYCHIKS 04-19-2011 12:03 AM

Man that's awesome. Congrats on the new jeep!

ColdCase 04-19-2011 07:38 AM

Almost same story here, but I did not have to give up the Y2000 GC yet, it got handed down to a daughter. Aside from front brakes and rotors, and a rear axle seal... oh and a transmission rebuild... it has been a good car, still solid and running well with every thing working at ~150000K.

Dreadnaught1181 04-19-2011 04:31 PM

If you don't mind my asking, how recent was that 2nd picture (profile shot) taken?

Exterior looks to be in great shape for a vehicle 11 years young.

Cperez 04-19-2011 07:58 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I have never turned in or traded a vehicle that I didn't miss.

As corny as it sounds, my second Expedition was one of the toughest. As I cleaned it out for its final journey (I never take them back dirty, it's a source of pride), I was finding bits of candy and broken pieces of the kids' little toys, Cheerios, popsicle sticks and other detritus of typical family life down in the seats when I lifted them up to vacuum one last time. It made me think of all the family journeys we had taken in that battlewagon, including a trip to the hospital to deliver my son. Many trips to our lake house, play dates, road trips to visit family (and diaper blowouts during these trips, some caught on videotape). Lots of memories. It was a good Dad Moment as I cleaned her up out in the garage by myself that last time.

I always appreciate them just that much more on the final drive. I have made myself melancholy. I need a cold beer.

Congrats on the new MG Overland! Enjoy the tech package and all the modern comforts!

Chi-One 04-19-2011 08:28 PM

Congrats on the new Overland!

However......the ONLY pizza in the world is to be found in Chicago!:thumbsup:

wjs81866 04-19-2011 08:29 PM

enjoy

I left my 1998 grand 5.9 at the dealer, I hated doing it.

netcoolery 04-19-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-One (Post 399243)
Congrats on the new Overland!

However......the ONLY pizza in the world is to be found in Chicago!:thumbsup:

Yeah, you can find pizza in Chicago because people leave it - it's much harder to find on the Jersey Shore because people gobble it up so fast.

You wanna know how good Jersey Shore pizza is? A guy who grew up in Boston and who doesn't live in Jersey still admits it's the best!

(Let the pizza wars commence :D)

J13ntv 04-19-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netcoolery (Post 399267)
Yeah, you can find pizza in Chicago because people leave it - it's much harder to find on the Jersey Shore because people gobble it up so fast.

You wanna know how good Jersey Shore pizza is? A guy who grew up in Boston and who doesn't live in Jersey still admits it's the best!

(Let the pizza wars commence :D)

You grew up in Boston, live in AZ and love Jersey pizza?

Actually NJ is close to NY so they probably live in NY and work in NJ, its NY pizza :thumbsup: