Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   popping noise in front suspension-bwoody/srt bilsteins (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/popping-noise-in-front-suspension-bwoody-srt-bilsteins-22017.html)

jasonjsl 04-19-2011 08:19 PM

popping noise in front suspension-bwoody/srt bilsteins

i need some help figuring out whats popping in the front suspension. About 4 months ago i installes srt bilsteins and some bwoody springs. about a week ago i noticed ive developed a popping sound coming from the front suspension when whe wheel is turned in either direction.this is deffinatly not the banging noise you get when you max out the steering wheel...im leaning towards it being ball joints. I took it in to tires plus today and they assure me its not anything related to the suspension (like the know wtf theyre talking about anyway) none the less i cant for the life of me figure out what it s thats causeing this noise....any one know what im talking about or have any ideas?

Scottina06 04-19-2011 08:45 PM

Re: popping noise in front suspension-bwoody/srt bilsteins

hmmmm...hard to diagnose...could be any number of things

jlewissystem 04-19-2011 08:59 PM

Could be a bunch of things.....you'll have to do some troubleshooting (darn, more time in the garage :) ) I JUST lifted mine and got some popping out of my sway bar and sway bar link. I doubt that's the case for you, but maybe check and re-tighten stuff if necessary and check that ball joint.

jasonjsl 04-19-2011 09:09 PM

checked and checked... everything tight and in good visual condition? keep in mind i never had this issue till a few months after install of bwoody srt bilsteins...

jlewissystem 04-19-2011 11:56 PM

Do you have to re-tighten the nut at the top of the strut mounts at all? More of a rattle there, but maybe there's some "wear-in" going on? I plan on re-tightening in about a month of wear.

jasonjsl 04-20-2011 07:58 AM

even if they were torqued correctly per specs?

soontobesrt 05-07-2011 04:46 PM

Ever figure this out? I had it awhile back, ended up being my wheel bearing. Sometimes they go, usually they go bad if the hub nut was over torqued and sometimes just form abuse in general. Usually you'll hear it at low speeds when turning, the splines on the shaft aren't seated in the bearing properly and thats the popping you're hearing as its eating itself up. Check that out, jack truck up on both sides and check the wheels, if you can move it side to side or there is any sideways play, bearing is shot.

Also check out the sway bar bushings as well as your tie-rod balljoints as those could make sounds when turning pending if they're going or went bad. Id lube everything up and see if it goes away. More popping sounds could come from the sway sway links but Id say its unlikely. Anywhere there is metal/metal even with a bushing could obviously make the noise so again thats why i say lube it all and check. Youll get it :)

magnumman426 05-17-2011 07:29 PM

Try and make sure that the springs are seated in the cushions properly, and oriented correctly. A misaligned spring will cause that as well.

jasonjsl 05-18-2011 04:34 PM

Ill have a look this weekend...thanks for the information guys.

JEEPON22S 09-09-2011 04:21 PM

Mine is doing this to on the left passenger side.. I put billsteins in on my jeep.. Did you figure it out?

jasonjsl 09-09-2011 04:43 PM

No...I have not figured it out yet...

sent from my HTC EVO shift

jlewissystem 09-09-2011 04:59 PM

Oh man - this one is still out there? Maybe check to see if your swaybar is centered? I had mine "cocked" to one side, shortly after lifting, and i had to center it.