Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Another keyless enter-and-go question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/another-keyless-enter-and-go-question-22024.html)

jmpdev2020 04-19-2011 11:18 PM

Another keyless enter-and-go question

I noticed recently that after pressing the lock button on the fob after exiting vehicle that it's unlocking immediately. Locks go down and then right back up with one press. I need to press again for them to lock. If I wasn't paying attention my jeep would be sitting in a parking lot all day unlocked in the metro dc area. Can't leave your doors unlocked in these parts.

Anyone else experiencing this? It only occurs about 50% of the time. I'm thinking maybe the proximity entry sensor is too sensitive.

J13ntv 04-19-2011 11:39 PM

Re: Another keyless enter-and-go question

Stupid question but you don't have the second fob in the jeep by accident?

joebinotto 04-20-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 399433)

That was exactly my guess as well.

ternst 04-20-2011 04:16 AM

I actually do keep my second FOB in the jeep but it locks just fine on the first push of the button. I'm paranoid about losing my FOB while out in the woods hiking (my day job) and so the dealer gave me a key that I keep hidden under the jeep (to open the door) and the FOB inside (to start the car) so I don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

jmpdev2020 04-20-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 399433)

Nope, that's tucked away in a drawer in the house. The only thing I can think of is that the proximitry entry sensors are overly sensitive on occasion. Or maybe it has to do with me being near or within 5 ft of the vehicle when I press the fob lock button. Maybe I've got a bug in the proximitry entry system. I'll have my dealership look at it and post the diagnosis later.

dobiegillis 04-20-2011 09:25 AM

I'm driving a loaner right now and I have the opposite problem. Sometimes pressing the button on the closed door won't do anything...other times it locks fine. No key is in the jeep when I'm trying to do this.

Cperez 04-20-2011 10:38 AM

I have adopted a routine that makes the fob a mere trinket in my pocket. (I thought that was the whole point of keyless entry and go). I unlock the Jeep by grabbing the handle or by using the liftgate. I lock it upon exiting by pressing the button on the inside of the door. This way the fob stays in my pocket and it keeps my easily distracted brain focused on other stuff. I have used the fob a few times for grins to do remote start and once last weekend to shut up my wife (who was mocking me because her Ford Edge allows her to open her liftgate remotely, big whoop, I showed HER). Everything else about the fob is superfluous to me, but that's just my personal usage pattern.

Agreed that you don't want to leave your vehicle unlocked in the DC area, sadly.

joebinotto 04-20-2011 11:20 AM

I do the same as Cperez. I wasn't 100% sure how the keyless entry worked until I start using it. I never take it out of my pocket & really enjoying this convenience.

Jmpdev2020, I would get it checked. Sounds like you have some issue. Also, be sure your preferences are set properly.

Nouveau Redneck 04-20-2011 12:02 PM

Same here. I leave it in my pocket and unlock it by touching the handle and lock it with the button on the interior of the door.

pbm317 04-20-2011 01:12 PM

You guys lock using the button on the interior of the door? you don't press the chrome button on the outside door handle?

mjw930 04-20-2011 01:39 PM

I lock and unlock the same way Cperez does and it always works. I've used the FOB a few times and it also works as advertised.

How does it react when you don't use the FOB but use the keyless method of grabbing the handle to unlock and pressing the external button to lock?

If it's immediately unlocking then it's sensing a FOB inside the vehicle or not sensing it externally. Doing the above test will confirm the external sensor is working and point to a problem with one of the internal proximity sensors.

joebinotto 04-20-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbm317 (Post 399798)
You guys lock using the button on the interior of the door? you don't press the chrome button on the outside door handle?

I lock by using the exterior button on the door handle and open by simply touching the door handle. I never use the interior lock buttons.