Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   front end issue- ETC or something else? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/front-end-issue-etc-or-something-else-22078.html)

paroxysym 04-20-2011 08:19 PM

front end issue- ETC or something else?

so im starting to get frustrated with my jeep and its ETC-esque shuttering. ive had my daystar lift installed for approx 3 weeks now. i added some 255s to the lift and its started acting funny since then. the tires dont rub as i have 1/4" spacers installed with the moabs. tonight driving home really had me thinking as i hit a decent size pothole causing that shuttering in the front end i experience when when ETC light kicks on. i notice it more when i take a off ramp at a decent speed and feel the shuttering from the left front tire. i know all my TSBs are up to date as is anything else. i had the shocks replaced with bilstein HDs when i had the lift installed.

im wondering what else it could be? im going to get the AEV egr module to help with the ESP issue, but im wondering if my ball joints/wheel bearings may be going? she has 63k on her. help me figure this out.

05wkguy 04-20-2011 08:57 PM

Re: front end issue- ETC or something else?

Taking a stab at it here,

First, i'd get the wheel and tire checked for possible out of balance. Perhaps they balanced it but the weight fell off at some point.

Second, double check all fasteners for tightness.

Third, possible bad front strut-check for leakage of fluid.

Scottina06 04-21-2011 12:12 AM

check the wheel speed sensors too

paroxysym 04-21-2011 06:31 AM

how do i check those? i plan on taking it in to have the tires rebalanced and the alignment looked at this weekend.

paroxysym 04-21-2011 04:49 PM

would or would it not throw a CEL?

Scottina06 04-21-2011 05:18 PM

you will need to remove the wheel/tire and look at where the sensor wire plugs into the hub. Then trace the wire up the knuckle to the fender well. I bet it was damaged during your install. It will throw codes sometimes.

paroxysym 04-21-2011 10:25 PM

Alright cool, ill be taking a look this weekend... Any damage possible by running it like this? I say I feel that shutter once maybe twice a day?

Scottina06 04-21-2011 10:35 PM

traction control will not function properly.

Its probably a broken, cracked or loose connection along that wire if that is it. Inspect it carefully

paroxysym 04-21-2011 10:47 PM

Thanks scott for the help. Do you know if you can buy that whole connection new or repair what's on there? Ill be inspecting it this weekend- weather pending. Would one side cause the other side to act out of whack? I'm thinking both got damaged.. Damnit.

Scottina06 04-21-2011 10:59 PM

its a wire with two connections.....so its sold as one piece. I dont think they are expensive at all. One bad wire would cause problems

paroxysym 04-22-2011 01:13 AM

Lol know a part number?