Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Dealer pushback on a TSB? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/dealer-pushback-on-a-tsb-22094.html)

rybocf 04-21-2011 08:21 AM

Dealer pushback on a TSB?

I just got off the phone with the dealer I purchased my WK2 from in December. I have experienced the premature upshift and power loss problem and wanted to go in for my first oil change and get the stability rapid recall done and TSB 18-012-11. My build date is December, and since I purchased on December 31st, I'm pretty sure my build date is prior to 12/20.

The service guy told me that he would not perform a TSB based on a customer just "asking for it" and that they had to confirm there was a problem. I politely indicated that I had experienced the power loss issue and that since it's a known TSB and takes less than 30 minutes (according the bulletin) then can I just get it done, considering this will waste WAY more than 30 minutes of both his and my time if I have to make a separate appt and have them drive and verify the problem, etc.

I understand where he's coming from, but I also feel like I'm entitled to fixes that have been offered from the manufacturer without having to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Anyone else out there have a method for getting things done at the dealer, or how you specifically got the 18-012-11 TSB performed without wasting a whole bunch of your time?

Thanks,
-Ryan

CapecodJeep 04-21-2011 08:22 AM

Re: Dealer pushback on a TSB?

The service dept. is obligated to confirm, via your VIN# is your vehicle is part of the TSBs.

JoeSchmoe007 04-21-2011 08:43 AM

My experience on this is here:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showpost.p...4&postcount=18

Remleym 04-21-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rybocf (Post 400330)
Anyone else out there have a method for getting things done at the dealer, or how you specifically got the 18-012-11 TSB performed without wasting a whole bunch of your time?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Print out the TSB and use some of the same words from the TSB problem description to complain of the problem to your service department. I actually had the TSB printout in hand, with the key sentences highlighted in yellow, and I read the problem to the service manager. They were then happy to perform the check to see that the TSB had not been applied (I already knew that but they had to check) and then they did the update for me. Drives like totally - and much improved - different vehicle!

Technosavant 04-21-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remleym (Post 400354)
Print out the TSB and use some of the same words from the TSB problem description to complain of the problem to your service department. I actually had the TSB printout in hand, with the key sentences highlighted in yellow, and I read the problem to the service manager. They were then happy to perform the check to see that the TSB had not been applied (I already knew that but they had to check) and then they did the update for me. Drives like totally - and much improved - different vehicle!

This.

If you go in and say "hey, this TSB applies to my vehicle, please perform it," you'll get nowhere. TSBs are not recalls. They are fixes for known issues, but not every vehicle experiences those issues.

If you can articulate the problem you are having and how it relates to that potential fix, you'll get farther. I used the "hey, I noticed it was doing X, Y, and Z (all of which was true), and looked online and found this." They did the TSB, no problems. Had I said "Hey, I found this TSB, and mine has kinda been doing X," things might have been different.

I don't doubt you experienced the issue, but the key is articulating clearly what the problem is.

bpmcgee 04-21-2011 09:44 AM

In other words, if you want the TSB applied, just tell them you have all the symptoms.

B

rybocf 04-21-2011 09:57 AM

Thanks, good advice.

I printed the TSB and described my problem as "C" on the list. The strange thing is that even though my build date is 12/4 they told me that my VIN does not apply to this TSB, even though it clearly states that it applies to build dates prior to 12/20. This is my first service, so it hasn't "snuck" in there, and since this my purchashing dealer, they have no evidence that it has already been applied.

FYI, they were easier to deal with in person :)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ryan

wjs81866 04-21-2011 10:41 AM

It all coems down to the dealer and their policies, some will run them at request (Such as mine) My dealer will run any tsb that shows up whenever I go in, doesn't matter if it's for that particular issue or not.

But not every dealership see's it that way.

Of the 2 dealers close to me one will act as your's did and the one I use just updates whatever needs updating when I go in.

the1jake 04-21-2011 10:54 AM

Tell them the conditions you're experience no uncertain terms. Make sure they understand a small investment of their time now will save many hours of it later on.

For half an hour (or less) to flash the TSB, they're not about to try and recreate the conditions which would take as long (or longer) to do.

Then again, you can always stand in the middle of the showroom bitching about how slow the response on your 3.6 is.

mjw930 04-21-2011 11:17 AM

I wonder when things around flashing the ECM changed? I recall a decade ago with my Ford's they had a service policy, supposedly corporate wide, where the final step of any service was to plug the vehicle into their computer and perform a scan. The system automatically updated all the systems if there was an update available. They even performed this step after an oil change (at least at my dealership). The Porsche, Volvo, VW, Mazda and Chevy dealers I've dealt with over the last decade have also seemed to live by this policy. I see it like running Windows Update or Apple Update, you just do it every few weeks whether it needs anything or not.

Now, if the TSB is for something beyond a simple reprogram that's a different issue all together.

jgc4ever 04-21-2011 12:19 PM

Regardless that they claim the TSB doesn't apply. Tell them the problems your experiencing in detail and tell them to fix it. Probably best for you to drive with them in the vehicle and show it to them so they are able to experience the problem and you know they know. I know it's a pain, but that's probably the best way to go for you at this point.

Cherodude 04-21-2011 06:28 PM

As we've heard here and in other threads, the dealer response to customer requests to apply a TSB ranges all over the map. Your best approach is to honestly explain that you are experiencing problems, you have found a TSB that may cover the problem, and can they apply the TSB to fix it.

Its only natural that the dealer will want to ensure that the TSB is applicable, so you may have to be insistent. If they need a test drive, so be it, but you should ask that they do not make a snap judgement from a few minutes behind the wheel, when you drive it daily.

I have no answer to explain why some dealers just start to create obstacles, rather than showing that they are trying to solve the problem and keep a satisfied customer. No doubt all dealers are advised by Jeep to only apply TSBs that are justified (after all these cost Jeep money to compensate the dealer for the work under warranty). I can only say that if one dealer will not provide good service to you, there is nothing to stop you from finding a more helpful dealer who will.