Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Need help finding switched power source (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/need-help-finding-switched-power-source-22111.html)

RageOfFury 04-21-2011 04:18 PM

Need help finding switched power source

I need to find a switched +12V power source that I can tap into for an accessory I'm going to install.

The instructions manual says to tap into a 12V power source that only powers on when the vehicle is in ACC/RUN/ON.

Anything under the driver's side foot well?

RageOfFury 04-21-2011 05:25 PM

Re: Need help finding switched power source

I believe tapping into the 12V power outlet located in the front dash storage bin would work. Just need to figure out how to access the wiring...

Andrew Klossner 04-21-2011 06:35 PM

Be sure to think about the total number of amps that your device will be drawing along with whatever other devices are on that circuit. The fuse table in the owner's manual gives the max current for each.

Nouveau Redneck 04-22-2011 10:34 AM

Most of the existing circuits are fused and wired according to the current that they already are drawing plus a little extra to keep from blowing fuses all of the time. If your new accessory is going to only draw up to an amp or 2 I would feel safe using any existing circuit. You should be able to use a meter to find a wire that is hot only in the ACC/ON/RUN positions. The 12 volt outlet in the front console compartment below the HVAC controls is switched with the key. The one in the armrest center console, on the other hand, is always on.

RageOfFury 04-22-2011 11:00 AM

According to the specs sheet, it only draws, at a maximum, 450mA. Now I gotta find how to tap into the switched 12V power outlet.

fireguy 04-22-2011 11:38 AM

What about tapping the 115V aux plug in the center console. Powered by the aux plug button under the HVAC controls.

Nouveau Redneck 04-22-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 401166)
What about tapping the 115V aux plug in the center console. Powered by the aux plug button under the HVAC controls.

He said he is looking for a 12 volt circuit that it switched on by the key.

RageOfFury 04-22-2011 06:08 PM

I was able to tap into the 12V outlet that's located in the dash storage bin.

I located which wire ran from the fuse box(fuse M6) under the hood to that outlet and tapped into it. This was done on the passenger side.

My accessory now works perfectly:thumbsup: