Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Booster Seat Warning! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/booster-seat-warning-22123.html)

JeepeeJ 04-21-2011 07:25 PM

Booster Seat Warning!
 
For those planning on properly using high back booster seats read on, others can move on.

I tried installing a Britax Parkway SGL booster seat today and wasn't happy that a proper installation, based on the instructions, could not be achieved. I needed to use the backrest because of the upper belt guide but unfortunately I couldn't get the booster seat parallel to the vehicle's back seat. Part of the problem are the rear seat head restraints are angled forward and NOT removable.

I could have tried the middle seat position but it didn't have lower latch anchors. The latch connection was one of the reasons I got this model so that the booster seat stays in place whether in use or not. Now I have to return the seat and look for something much shorter and probably not what I really want.

For those looking to use a high back booster seat or have an oversized convertable car seat, you'll need to make sure the head restraints don't push the seats forward for an improper fit.

Is there anyone using a high back booster seat with lower latch anchors that sits lower than the head restraints and has an upper belt guide?

My little one is going to be disappointed that I'm returning the seat and will have to hold out a while longer for the big kid seat.

moosehead 04-21-2011 08:02 PM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/DSCN0575.jpg

Milous 04-21-2011 08:03 PM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepeeJ (Post 400795)
I could have tried the middle seat position but it didn't have lower latch anchors...

In my WK1 I have a child seat installed in the middle position, the lower latch anchors for the middle seat area just use the outer anchors from the left and right side seats - isn't the WK2 the same?

0 = anchors (red would be used for the middle seat)

0 0 0 0

Scottina06 04-21-2011 08:19 PM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
^^^^^same as mine and theres also anchors on the back of the seats

dharel1705 04-22-2011 07:14 AM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
We use a Graco high back booster seat for our son. It doesn't have any anchors and just sits on the rear seat. Basically the upper seat belt guide helps keep the booster seat in place. I did tilt the rear seat back a notch to make things a little more comfortable for him. The only issue we've had, is having to really reach over to buckle the seat belt since the seat belt latches for the back seats are level with the seat. It's hard to find the latch. You can see what I'm talking about in Moosehead's pic.

Our daughter is in a Britax Marathon facing forward. With the rear seat back tilted back a notch, we haven't had any issues. The latch belts snapped on without problem and the seat is tethered to rear anchor.

If anyone needs pics, let me know and I can try to take some of both seats.

dharel1705 04-22-2011 07:23 AM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 400819)
In my WK1 I have a child seat installed in the middle position, the lower latch anchors for the middle seat area just use the outer anchors from the left and right side seats - isn't the WK2 the same?

0 = anchors (red would be used for the middle seat)

0 0 0 0

Technically, the middle seat doesn't really have anchors. If you read through the manuals for the WK, WK2 and your booster or car seat, you will find that they don't recommend or even mention using the outer anchors for the middle seat.

When our son was first born, we considered using the middle seat with the outer anchors. My wife had a WK at the time. On the day we took our son home, the hospital sent someone down with us to make sure we had a proper infant carrier. When the guy saw the base was installed in the middle, he immediately said we had to move it over to the left or right.

dharel1705 04-22-2011 07:28 AM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
From the WK2 manual:

The rear outboard seating positions have lower anchorages capable of accommodating LATCH compatible child seats having flexible, webbing-mounted lower attachments and child seats with fixed lower attachments. The rear seat lower anchors can be readily identified by the symbol located on the seatback directly above the anchorages and are just visible when you lean into the rear seat to install the child restraint. You will easily feel them if you run your finger along the intersection of the seatback and seat cushion surfaces. The vehicle’s seat belt must be used for the center position. Regardless of the specific type of lower attachment, never install LATCH-compatible child seats such that two seats share a common lower anchorage.

If you are installing LATCH-compatible child restraints in adjacent rear seating positions, you can use the LATCH anchors or the vehicle’s seat belt for the outboard position, but you must use the vehicle’s seat belt at the center position. If your child restraints are not LATCH compatible, you can only install the child restraints using the vehicle’s seat belts. For typical installation instructions, refer to “Installing The LATCH-Compatible Child Restraint System”.

JeepeeJ 05-04-2011 06:09 PM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 400818)

Thanks for the pic but this model does not have LATCH although I've looked at it before.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharel1705 (Post 401038)
From the WK2 manual:

The rear outboard seating positions have lower anchorages capable of accommodating LATCH compatible child seats having flexible, webbing-mounted lower attachments and child seats with fixed lower attachments. The rear seat lower anchors can be readily identified by the symbol located on the seatback directly above the anchorages and are just visible when you lean into the rear seat to install the child restraint. You will easily feel them if you run your finger along the intersection of the seatback and seat cushion surfaces. The vehicle’s seat belt must be used for the center position. Regardless of the specific type of lower attachment, never install LATCH-compatible child seats such that two seats share a common lower anchorage.

If you are installing LATCH-compatible child restraints in adjacent rear seating positions, you can use the LATCH anchors or the vehicle’s seat belt for the outboard position, but you must use the vehicle’s seat belt at the center position. If your child restraints are not LATCH compatible, you can only install the child restraints using the vehicle’s seat belts. For typical installation instructions, refer to “Installing The LATCH-Compatible Child Restraint System”.

I'm glad you pointed this out since some would use whatever is available even though it's not recommended by the car manufacturer and even some seat makers.

JeepeeJ 05-04-2011 06:41 PM

Re: Booster Seat Warning!
 
Finding the correct booster seat has been a PITA since local stores carry limited stock and I dislike the whole process of shopping on-line, guessing if something will work and having to eat the cost and time of returns.

The Clek Oober fit like a glove but good luck trying to get the seat belt to fit on the first try every time you try to buckle up your little one behind the passenger seat. You will need to push the booster seat as much as you can to the left to dig down into the car seat. This is something my wife couldn't put up with and I don't blame her since I wouldn't either. The problem is with the way the Jeep's folding seat is built. It has a hard piece of plastic from the base that prevents movement. There isn't much you can do there. If you move the seat behind the driver side then there is a little play to get a fit but there will still be some effort. I never liked putting a seat behind the driver because access and visibility is more limited. I did like the solid connection to the base with the Oobr though and was really hoping to keep it.

I finally found the Sunshine Kids Monterey Booster Seat today and it's a keeper. I fits nicely and my spouse is able to more easily secure the belt. Even the little one can do it with some effort but we don't let her do it because it's ALWAYS the adult's job to ensure a proper fit at all times.

http://www.skjp.com/en-US/product/97...482%3B_Booster

So far car seats have not been a problem, only booster seats with lower LATCH anchors making the GC less family friendly. I don't blame the child seat makers since they do point out that not every seat will fit in every car. The models shown below represent my experience with this model year vehicle.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community