Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   mopar roof rail noise. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/mopar-roof-rail-noise-22220.html)

patschamps2004 04-23-2011 09:27 AM

mopar roof rail noise.

I have the mopar roof cross bars and they look great, but i took them off since they make a tremendous amount of noise over 60 mph. Anybody have a solution? Faring or something of that nature that wont look like cr@p on my baby.

barrette's jeep 04-23-2011 11:11 AM

Re: mopar roof rail noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patschamps2004 (Post 401667)
I have the mopar roof cross bars and they look great, but i took them off since they make a tremendous amount of noise over 60 mph. Anybody have a solution? Faring or something of that nature that wont look like cr@p on my baby.

Try to move them back, play w the position......on m'y 2008 JGC there was mark on the chrome to help... Good luck Pat! :)

chibianh 04-23-2011 11:26 AM

I have mine set as far forward and as far back as it can go and havent had issues with noise.

voyagerx 04-23-2011 12:41 PM

Somebody else on this forum had the same issue. Turned out the forward sticker was on backwards and they were facing the wrong way. Once flipped their noise went away.

Bob WK2 04-23-2011 11:23 PM

Have them all the way forward and all the way back, same as chibianh's post, no wind noise.

Never tried another position. When I mounted my ski rack last winter I was concerned that there might not be enough distance to clear the bindings which is why they are at the maximum spread.

patschamps2004 04-24-2011 06:45 AM

Thanks! Will try that today!

fireguy 04-24-2011 07:55 AM

Try this post for some pictures also of the side profile encase they are on backwards.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...545#post371545

tazdevl 04-25-2011 12:24 AM

Other option is to sell somewhere and pick up a pair of whispbar crossbars from rackattack.

aahwrence 05-24-2014 06:42 AM

I'm having the same wind noise issue with Mopar cross rails on my 2014 Diesel Overland. I took delivery on the Overland 3 weeks ago, it's my 3rd Grand Cherokee in 10 years '04 6cyl Larado, '07 4.7L 8cyl Ltd, and it's by far the best ! But since I had the dealer install the cross rails last week the wind noise is intolerable. I'm going to go check to see if they mounted them backwards as some have suggested; Just thought I'd share my pain.

aahwrence 05-25-2014 07:45 AM

Turns out the rear rail was mounted backwards by the dealer! Once I turned it around the noise diminished considerably. I'm going to adjust the forward bar toward the rear to see if that will reduce it further.

The instructions on the parts on the mopar site are sparse so , here is a little more detail:

You remove the crossbar by lifting the rubber strip that's pressed into the upper surface, to reveal two hex screws on each end of the rail. Loosen the outermost screw to disconnect the crossbar from the rail truck , the inner screw attaches the cross bar to the upright plastic bracket and it has a compression nut recessed into the plastic on the back side. You shouldn't need to mess with this screw because the upright will only align with the crossbar in one direction. If you have a lock on the rail ends, unlock it remove the cylinder. On the underside of the crossbar should be a sticker with an icon indicating front or rear bar and "forward" - which the dealer thought should be pointing backward ! Point it forward and reattach the crossbar, and snug up the bolts but don't over tighten.

Happy Trails...

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

wilk 06-16-2014 12:51 AM

Yep, put mine on backwards and the wife came home and said the noise was unbearable! Turned them around and no issues since. I have the Mopar set.

aahwrence 06-16-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilk (Post 1038397)
Yep, put mine on backwards and the wife came home and said the noise was unbearable! Turned them around and no issues since. I have the Mopar set.

Following up on my earlier post, the Mopar Roof Rails mounted properly, still made considerable wind noise, I adjusted the position rearward, played with the spacing between the rails, I had read that 24" between the cross rails was ideal, but the noise was still too loud at highway speeds, so I put the in my shed for occasional use.

Has anyone tried the Yakima Whisperbars? How do they compare?