Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Gas price effect on V6 vs V8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/gas-price-effect-on-v6-vs-v8-22259.html)

jeepin dave 04-24-2011 09:59 AM

Gas price effect on V6 vs V8

Have been increasingly hearing predictions of $6 gas by this summer.
This works out to $120 for a 20 gal fill up.
If it goes to $6, will it stop at $6?
Was going to order an Overland with the Hemi for:
1. Enough power for a 5,000 lb vehicle.
2. Enough power for off road, especially mud.
3. Enough power for elevations above 5,000 ft.
4. Availability of locking rear dif for Hemi.
The high cost of fuel is making me revisit the V-6.
Has anyone ordered the V6 rather than the V8 due to fuel costs? Thoughts?
Use of Jeep: have a background in photography (former student of Ansel Adams), science/math, and management.
Currently mainly work consulting in Knowledge and Document Management. Explorer by nature. Work at client sites and explore during free time. Travel the US in all conditions and situations.
Need a good vehicle for business but also go anywhere to explore. Operating costs are always a factor, but time is also a factor.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the V6 vs V8 for my needs? Have read old posts but got conflicting info.
Thanks in advance.

AAAA 04-24-2011 10:41 AM

Re: Gas price effect on V6 vs V8

Ansel Adams student. I am impressed!

I have V6, but based on your comments you might want to go V8. For a V8 and almost 5,000 lb. vehicle gas mileage is decent. Remember V6 is almost 300 hp., but I do not do what you are doing so I find power more than adequate.

While the locking rear differential may appear to be "positraction" of the 1960's, the vehicles have slip control to brake spinning wheels and for power to go to traction wheels anyway. Nothing will help in mud other than a winch! But the locking rear differential is best for extremes such as rock climbing.

jeepin dave 04-24-2011 11:17 AM

Thanks for the info/thoughts.
I am not an expert, but it seems that power helps in mud to keep the tires cleaner. With the tires that the GC uses, I am not sure this is a factor.
Speaking of winches, does anyone make a GC winch bumper that can also be used with a tow bar like a Blue Ox (for occasional flat towing)?
With the best available information that I have, it seems there is little real world highway difference between the V6 and V8.

However, it appears the V6 is better in town for about 3 to 4 mpg or around a 20% improvement.

I would think that offroad fuel improvement would also be around 20 %

Am I correct?

Happy Easter to everyone!

jp467 04-24-2011 11:19 AM

I have owned both engines now. I can say when I got my first WK2 I did order the 6 because I was thinking about fuel milege. I thought almost right away it was a mistake although it has almost 300 hp the low end torque is lacking so it is sluggish off the line. I would not want to tow anything with the 6 even though it had the tow package. As far as fuel economy I was avg 19 to 20 with the 6 now with the 8 I get 14 to 16, but the power is night and day. The 6 is fine at highway speeds its just wihen driving around the city that it's a pain.

AAAA 04-24-2011 11:24 AM

I still recommend the V8 for your plans, but must defend the V6. The sluggishness mentionned ny jp467, was most likely prior to a TSB which reprogrammed shifting points, etc. Mine was built after that (Feb.) so I have plenty of lower rpm power for my needs around town. My mpg is equal to or better than 16/22 on sticker with 2200 miles on the odometer.

jeepin dave 04-24-2011 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info. Am continuing to learn.
There is NO one best tool in the world for anything. Why buy the world’s best hammer if one needs a screwdriver???
As such, always start with the needs first.
Do this at work also. Spent most of last winter at the GM Tech Center in Detroit matching Global needs to technology. Was interesting and got to look at more Jeeps that were down the road.
Happy Easter!

jp467 04-24-2011 01:18 PM

I had the tsb done on mine and I agree it made a big difference, but I think it still has a lack of low end torque off the line and I think in the 30 to 50 mph range it was still sluggish at times. The tsb was a big improvement though it was ridiclous before that. When you drive the 8 there is no contest. I do understand that the 6 is probably fine for a lot of people and I'm sure it will be even better when they get it hooked up to that 8 speed.

ostroveni 04-24-2011 04:23 PM

Just came back from a trip to US (from Canada JGC V6). Averaged 9.5L/100 km with 600 km highway (300 km each way) and 150 km driving around finger lakes (nice hills long or steep). I liked how the jeep handled both highway and hills. I like the gas consumption which is better than my previous jeep patriot on a similar trip. I observed that the jeep handles very well on highway or outside city (town roads, offroad ...). In the city, I get between 13.5-18 L/km in stop and go situation depending how bad the trafic is. Another consideration, in Canada the gas is 138 cents or 5.11 per US gallon compared with 3.99 per gallon in US. Compare this with over 6 per gallon in Europe ... and we might soon convert our jeeps to natural gas (Marchione's Fiat alternative fuel strategy ...)

Cherodude 04-24-2011 10:42 PM

I have the V6 which was adequate for me before the TSBs, but afterward noticed a big improvement. I drive fast but safely on the highway and never have found passing ability to be lacking.

I do not haul heavy trailers, but light ones (1500 pound range) are absolutely no problem. I do not have mountains or high altitude to contend with. For low traction conditions I encounter most frequently (snow, ice, mud) more power is not necessary. Tire selection is more important.

In the past winter the Quadra-Trac II system worked OK for me, but it was not a severe winter for deep snow here. My past vehicles had limited slip rear differentials, but the lack of same with QTII has not yet been missed after only one winter.

It comes down to a personal decision of course. Good luck!

CapecodJeep 04-25-2011 06:08 AM

If gas hits $6/gal., this country's already terrible economy will experience an historical set-up of bibical proporation. I have already seen $4.09/gal. in MA. Yesterday, I paid $3.85 for regular unleaded 87 octane.

bluetrude 04-25-2011 08:04 AM

When I was first looking my first criteria was that it have the hemi. Well after test driving I like the hemi performance better but determined that the 6 gave more performance than I had anticipated. Watching the avg. MPG in the EVIC on both I went with the 6 since I don't tow regularly or go off road. At 750 miles I don't regret the decision although there are those times when the off the line punch would be nice but all's good.

jeepin4ever 04-25-2011 08:52 AM

just did a 200 mile road trip from NY to Boston, MA through the Berkshires traveling at 75-80mph and averaged 23 mpg. I have the V6 Overland with Quadra-Trac II. previous jeep was a 2006 Overland Hemi, I would barely get 18 mpg with that. WK2 with quadra tracII seems just as capable as long as the selec-terrain is set in the correct mode.

i've gone 5,000 miles and have not needed an oil change either! V6 doesn't have the throaty exhaust note or impressive low end torque of the Hemi, but if you wind it out, which is fun in its own right, it will get up and go. I don't miss the hemi.