Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Battery Issue? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/battery-issue-22278.html)

Hollywood 04-24-2011 06:54 PM

Battery Issue?
 
Picked up my Overland on Friday (8 miles on it). Spent 3 hours in the car with the salesman, car not running with the start button in the "run" position, while he proceeded to explain how everything (Nav, Bluetooth, Lights, EVIC, etc., etc.) worked. At one point I asked him if this would drain the battery and he said not to worry. After that, we took the car home (approx. 20 miles) and for the next day and a half, spent more time in the car (not running) with the start button in the "run" position, trying to figure everything out.

Finally took her out today, and was driving with the A/C on, radio, nav, ventilated seats, and all of a sudden the windshield wipers came on once (no sign of water), the battery/charging indicator lit up and stayed on, along with the ESC light and FCW disabled light. WTF?

Turned the car off, and then back on and everything seemed OK. Turned it off again, and then back on, and the windshield wipers came on once, and the battery indicator light stayed on again.

Emailed my salesman who got right back to me and said it sounded like "low voltage". Put my Cteck charger on the battery under the passengers front seat and after about three hours it indicates fully charged.

Wondering if this is all just a new battery being drained down a bit?

Any thoughts?

Escape 04-24-2011 09:12 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Could just be low. Keep an eye on it though as these Jeeps are very sensitive to voltage. Any difference in voltage and it will flip out. A battery does have a lifespan also...usually they go bad at around 5 yrs or so and a bad battery will cause the alternator to go also.

J13ntv 04-24-2011 09:28 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Once your vehicle is running, technically your suppose to be able to disconnect your battery and your car will stay running due to the alternator.. I do not know what is causing erratic behavior in your vehicle? I do not think the battery would be the problem..

Cherodude 04-24-2011 09:34 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Also be careful of the charging process. The absorbent glass mat battery of the WK2 requires a different charge method than standard lead-acid batteries.

See this thread:
http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...hlight=battery

Escape 04-24-2011 10:37 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 402479)
Once your vehicle is running, technically your suppose to be able to disconnect your battery and your car will stay running due to the alternator.. I do not know what is causing erratic behavior in your vehicle? I do not think the battery would be the problem..

Yes, the alternator powers the vehicle after it is started and the battery is used to start the vehicle, but the battery also acts as a capacitor/regulator inbetween the vehicles electrical system and the alternator. The alternator will generate different voltages depending on it's RPM's, the battery stores this energy and provides a constant regulated voltage. Without the battery to do this voltage regulation the Jeep will freak out and you may cause damage to some components as it is very voltage sensitive.

One of the first signs you will notice (before a no-start condition) is bad fuel economy as it doesn't have enough juice to power the bank 2 O2 sensors. I watched my bank 2 O2 sensors constantly gain in % of fuel added long and short term for several days and then 1 day it just didn't start. Replaced the battery and all was back to perfect.

Nouveau Redneck 04-25-2011 08:47 AM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 402524)
Yes, the alternator powers the vehicle after it is started and the battery is used to start the vehicle, but the battery also acts as a capacitor/regulator inbetween the vehicles electrical system and the alternator. The alternator will generate different voltages depending on it's RPM's, the battery stores this energy and provides a constant regulated voltage. Without the battery to do this voltage regulation the Jeep will freak out and you may cause damage to some components as it is very voltage sensitive.

One of the first signs you will notice (before a no-start condition) is bad fuel economy as it doesn't have enough juice to power the bank 2 O2 sensors. I watched my bank 2 O2 sensors constantly gain in % of fuel added long and short term for several days and then 1 day it just didn't start. Replaced the battery and all was back to perfect.

Where do you look to see the O2 sensor information that you're talking about?

Hollywood 04-25-2011 09:56 AM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Only took about three hours on my Ctek to bring it back to full charge. Took the car out this morning, everything seems fine. I'm gonna run it today with none of the accessories, and let everything get back to normal. Spoke with my salesman this morning who is 99% sure the problem was due to low-voltage, seeing as the car had hardly ever had a chance to run before leaving it in the accessory/on position for HOURS. Assured me that once it's begun to be used "regularly", I'll NEVER encounter this problem again. All seems fine.

Hollywood 04-25-2011 03:58 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Out driving, Battery light came on again. Going into the dealer tomorrow morning to check for codes. Just turned the first 100 miles. Hope this isn't prophetic. :(

Bmwister 04-25-2011 04:50 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
FWIW, all of the Battery Tender brand chargers I own are rated for use on AGM batteries like we have in the WK2. I use my tender on the WK2 when I travel by air for weeks at a time to ensure long battery service life (one of my sports car batteries is 9yrs old and holds a charge like new).

Info link:http://batterytender.com/resources/f...sked-questions




--

Escape 04-25-2011 08:49 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nouveau Redneck (Post 402638)
Where do you look to see the O2 sensor information that you're talking about?

I run DashHawk or a Diablo Trinity (depending on what I want to read) but these are OBDII devices. I don't think these will work on the WK2 though. :(

silver04 04-25-2011 11:31 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Disconnecting the battery while engine is running is NOT something you should do on a modern computer controlled car.

Hollywood 04-26-2011 12:06 PM

Re: Battery Issue?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 402990)
Out driving, Battery light came on again. Going into the dealer tomorrow morning to check for codes. Just turned the first 100 miles. Hope this isn't prophetic. :(

Well, two day old car, and it's at the dealer for service!! :mad:

Went in this morning, they left the car running for a bit and got the battery light to come on. I guess that's better than if they told me "it's not doing it now". Ran a diagnostic, and got a bunch of codes, all due to "low voltage". Charged the battery and they cleared.

The didn't want me to take the vehicle and have it re-occur, so they gave me a loaner and asked me to leave my brandy dandy two day old Overland with them, so they can check the battery throughout the day as it cools to be sure it's not dis-charging, in which case they'll replace it.

Welcome to the world of high-tech!! :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community