Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Ticking noise from Rear (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ticking-noise-from-rear-22290.html)

2005 WK 04-25-2011 01:15 AM

Ticking noise from Rear

This has been a problem for me for a few months now, I applied my parking brake to see if it works but ever since I did this I have had I ticking noise coming from the back drivers side brake.

It only happens when I driving slow like coming up to a light or if im driving in a parking lot and the ticking seems to go with the rotation of the tire. It goes away when I get above about 15 mph. It sounds like its something in the drum but I want to get some input on what to look for before I take it apart. Also, the brakes still have about 80% on them. Anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance.

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-25-2011 02:10 AM

Re: Ticking noise from Rear

WKs dont have drum brakes

2005 WK 04-25-2011 02:13 AM

dont they have shoes inside the rear disc just for the parking brake?

TJcust 04-25-2011 02:14 AM

jack it up and spin each tire to see if there is any noise or hesitation. Also do a visual for anything out of the ordinary.

Those would be my first steps

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-25-2011 02:16 AM

there could be something stuck in the caliper which could then be hitting the wheel as it spins. there could also be something in your tire.

2005 WK 04-25-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 402587)
there could be something stuck in the caliper which could then be hitting the wheel as it spins. there could also be something in your tire.

tires dont seem to have anything stuck in them. Now that the weather is finally starting to warm up I can lift it and check, I just wanted to get a starting point on what to look for. Thanks for everyones help.

Djsal5 04-25-2011 10:40 AM

have you ever used the e-brake? Same thing happen with my 05 4.7 the e brake assembly was all jacked up my mechanic disassembled it no more clicking but no more e brake!!!

2005 WK 04-25-2011 09:02 PM

i have never used my e brake and dont really have any reason to but I dont want to completely disable it so im going to try to find a fix for it. Disabling it would probably be my last resort.

TJXJWJ 04-25-2011 09:04 PM

This may sound stupid....but it's happened to me.
Check the treads. Pebbles, rocks stuck in tire treads can be annoying as hell.

2005 WK 04-25-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 403174)
This may sound stupid....but it's happened to me.
Check the treads. Pebbles, rocks stuck in tire treads can be annoying as hell.

Ya i was hoping it would be something as simple as a pebble in the tread but its not. Hopefully its nothing major and i can figure it out without taking it to a mechanics.

2005JGC 04-26-2011 01:44 AM

lift the rear end, take the wheel off, pop the caliper off, then remove the rotor and inspect the ebrake assembly... there are SO many parts involved, especially considering your complaint, according to you, started after applying the ebrake while moving.

I am sure you will find something broken or dangling in the ebrake assembly, possibly some of the shoe lining that came off.

2005 WK 04-26-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks for the input 2005JGC, Im going to try to find time sometime this week to take it apart and ill make and update if i fix the problem. I appreciate everyones help.