Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/)
-   -   So what do the vents in the hood actuallydo? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f163/so-what-do-the-vents-in-the-hood-actuallydo-22292.html)

Nouveau Redneck 04-25-2011 08:31 AM

So what do the vents in the hood actuallydo?

I've finally seen some pictures that show what's under those vents in the new SRT8 hood, and it looks like nothing. There are little hollow spots above the headlights that are isolated form the engine compartment by weather stripping, and those vents in the hood appear to be directly above those hollow spots. So what actual feature/benefit do they provide? Are they merely cooling vents for the headlights? Or is there some aerodynamic advantage that is gained by having them there that is not so obvious to my untrained eyes?

Scottina06 04-25-2011 08:54 AM

Re: So what do the vents in the hood actuallydo?

we were told they were functional heat extractors for the engine bay...

Nouveau Redneck 04-25-2011 09:00 AM

Maybe I'm not looking at the pictures right, but it looks to me like the vents are over the headlights and that area is isolated from the rest of the engine bay by weather stripping that would seal that area off when the hood is closed.

Nouveau Redneck 04-25-2011 09:05 AM

OK, after looking at more pictures I see that the vents are farther in towards the center than I had originally thought, so cooling the engine compartment makes sense. When I saw the first pictures of the vents I was hoping that they were part of a cold air induction system.

Scottina06 04-25-2011 09:07 AM

yeah...Im looking for a pic of the underside of thehood. Youre right...the vents are in the middle portion of the hood.

Relwarc 04-25-2011 09:07 AM

"heat extracting" vents on hoods totally work.. I have the antivenom hood and its fun sitting in traffic watching the heat waves rising from the vents. haha I also noticed that when going at side road speed, my windshield doesnt need a defroster to keep from fogging up in the rain.... haha

SRTILL8 04-25-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 402653)
"heat extracting" vents on hoods totally work.. I have the antivenom hood and its fun sitting in traffic watching the heat waves rising from the vents. haha I also noticed that when going at side road speed, my windshield doesnt need a defroster to keep from fogging up in the rain.... haha

dont you just love those heat waves coming up out from the vents! :D

and lol at the defroster bro!

moosehead 04-25-2011 09:25 AM

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j..._4860083_o.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j..._3957463_o.jpg

jgc4ever 04-25-2011 09:58 AM

Does anyone know if when it rains or you wash the Jeep, does the water get into what part under the hood through those vents? I'm hoping it doesn't get anything in the engine compartment wet, but I wonder how that would be possible.

Relwarc 04-25-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 402660)
dont you just love those heat waves coming up out from the vents! :D

and lol at the defroster bro!

haha its true! recycle heat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 402678)
Does anyone know if when it rains or you wash the Jeep, does the water get into what part under the hood through those vents? I'm hoping it doesn't get anything in the engine compartment wet, but I wonder how that would be possible.

It definately gets in, i cant speak for the WK2SRT, but the water from mine just falls straight through the compartment to the ground, the holes happen to be on open spots.

Nouveau Redneck 04-25-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 402678)

I'm pretty sure that a lot of water gets up into your engine compartment from below whenever you driver on wet roads, so I wouldn't worry about any rain coming into the engine compartment from the hood vents.

Jeff_Jeske 04-25-2011 11:19 PM

My EVO has a rather large opening in the hood and yes water gets in there when it rains or when you go through a car wash .... but I haven't encountered any issues at all.

As mentioned above.... the heat wash coming out from the vent is ridiculous.