Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   HELP! Jeep won't start when warm (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/help-jeep-wont-start-when-warm-22302.html)

smack82 04-25-2011 12:01 PM

HELP! Jeep won't start when warm

I've found a few threads on similar topics but has anyone had issues starting your jeep when the engine is already warm?

For example, I've gone on a few drives 10-30mins and get out to run into a store, come out and the jeep will not start. It sounds like it has every intention of starting but just will not fire... all mechanics sound right, it's just as if the computer or relay is shutting the firing process down. Very strange and very annoying to the point where I want to trade in. Its starts right up when the engine cools down (or it seems they're related). I don't want to go down the road where they troubleshoot one thing after another so any tips would be much appreciated.

I've read about fixes to relays, computers, starters, etc... have any of these fixes consistently worked? My hemi has about 47k miles on it.

Frango100 04-25-2011 12:45 PM

Re: HELP! Jeep won't start when warm

Is there any fault code stored? Sounds as a speed sensor problem. Don't know the Hemi, but it probably has a Crank Position Sensor and Cam Position Sensor.

smack82 04-25-2011 01:02 PM

i haven't been looked into any codes yet. It just seems to be electrical because you can tell it wants to start but something electrical/computer generated is stopping the firing process.

I did get water in my sunroof a while back which i'm assuming made it downstream to the computer under the steering column. Do you think it could be that computer system?

Frango100 04-25-2011 05:22 PM

I'm not familiar with the WK, but start checking for fault codes first, that should give you a good direction. Can you retrieve the faults on the WK by switching the ignition ON/OFF 3 times and leaving it in ON after the third time (as with the WJ)?

2005JGC 04-27-2011 02:14 PM

I had one at work (a hemi) that "would not start"... every time it got towed in it started every time, had fuel pressure, my noid light fired, my spark tester fired.... it never didnt start for me, nothing skipped a beat. I had it a week at one point, I drove it around the block, sat leaving it running, shut it off, let it heat soak and tried to start it. It started every time. FINALLY another tech got it and was going to drive it home one night and it didnt start for him to go home... he deturmined it was the fuel pump.

This was very similar to your complaint, the customer would drive to a store, go in, come out and it would just crank and crank. There is a starcase reguarding a checkvalve in the fuel pump failing or something. but at 700 dollars and change for parts and labor to replace the pump I wasnt going to go throwing parts at the car on a hunch, especially because when I think of a heat soaked no start, I really dont think of fuel pump.

smack82 04-27-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 404720)
I had one at work (a hemi) that "would not start"... every time it got towed in it started every time, had fuel pressure, my noid light fired, my spark tester fired.... it never didnt start for me, nothing skipped a beat. I had it a week at one point, I drove it around the block, sat leaving it running, shut it off, let it heat soak and tried to start it. It started every time. FINALLY another tech got it and was going to drive it home one night and it didnt start for him to go home... he deturmined it was the fuel pump.

This was very similar to your complaint, the customer would drive to a store, go in, come out and it would just crank and crank. There is a starcase reguarding a checkvalve in the fuel pump failing or something. but at 700 dollars and change for parts and labor to replace the pump I wasnt going to go throwing parts at the car on a hunch, especially because when I think of a heat soaked no start, I really dont think of fuel pump.

Thanks! Did this fix the issue? Fuel pump? My jeep has been starting the past few days even when heated up, but never know when it is going to act up.

2005JGC 04-28-2011 12:41 AM

Yes the fuel pump resolved the issue.

smack82 04-28-2011 10:42 AM

Check this site out and search for "Brigada" he seems to have solved the issue for those that have multiple clicking... worth the read if you're having starting issues...

http://autoforum.classifieds1000.com...C_not_starting

i'm am going to try cleaning up the connections this weekend and see what happens.

2005JGC 04-28-2011 01:41 PM

If its a starter issue it WONT crank, when some part of the starter system is failing or failed it wont turn over. Very different from cranking and not starting. If your getting clicking, you may have a weak battery, poor connection or dying starter (likely one of the prior). If your cranking its another issue.

smack82 04-28-2011 03:21 PM

crap, thought i was on to something. So next i'm thinking fuel pump...

2005JGC 04-29-2011 01:57 AM

If you can get a fuel pressure gauge on it... With my matco gauge I have a T and am able to leave the fuel line intact and still tap in my gauge. If you did this you could jsut leave it hooked up, the next time you have an issue pop the hood, turn the key on and see if you have pressure.