Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   08 WK Will not start.. Sadpanda (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/08-wk-will-not-start-sadpanda-22317.html)

sudsbear 04-25-2011 04:05 PM

08 WK Will not start.. Sadpanda

Well i put the key in, turn it.. nothing. Lights and all electronics work.. nothing under the hood makes a sound.

had it towed to dealership on Sunday, today they tell me it starts fine. Just had a module replaced in it 3 weeks ago, because it was having the same problem.

Any tips? i have no experience with this type of stuff.:mad:

downstate 04-25-2011 04:16 PM

Re: 08 WK Will not start.. Sadpanda

Battery?

Mine was doing that (but I had it in storage) so the internal cpu or whatever drained it on me... sounds like you drive yours often enough to keep the charge though.

TJcust 04-25-2011 05:30 PM

Not even clicking? I hear the starters in the WK's are bad and often need to be replaced.

Frango100 04-25-2011 05:34 PM

Sounds as a starter or starter relay problem. Would it be the battery, then normally all lights start to dim when trying to start the engine.

TJcust 04-25-2011 05:36 PM

If it happens again get someone to try and turn it over and listen under the hood for a clicking sounds.. bet its the starter. Specially since it started for the dealer (it always does)

2005JGC 04-27-2011 02:00 PM

Yep, sounds like the starter is a good guess. VERY common issue... Could be alot of things, but the starter is so common.

As mentioned, listen for a single click next time it doesnt start... if you hear a single click try starting it repeatedly (key off, then run, off the run...). You should be able to get the contacts in the solenoid to make a good connection after a number of trys... worst case senario this should allow you to drive it to the shop to have the starter replaced or get it home without having to pay for a tow. There will come a time when it just wont work any longer.

magnumman426 05-17-2011 07:58 PM

It's not always the starter itself, but the solenoid wiring. The connector has a weather seal with shrink tubing. As the tubing gets hot the gkue softens and flows into the connector. Check this first before replaceing the starter. Usually the solenoid connector needs replacement, and not the starter, unless it has many miles on it and the conector has been replaced.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-17-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman426 (Post 416654)
It's not always the starter itself, but the solenoid wiring. The connector has a weather seal with shrink tubing. As the tubing gets hot the gkue softens and flows into the connector. Check this first before replaceing the starter. Usually the solenoid connector needs replacement, and not the starter, unless it has many miles on it and the conector has been replaced.

^x2 i had this happen on my jeep and it was the same exact conditions the OP described

lll2for3lll 05-17-2011 08:39 PM

It happened to me almost 2 years ago and never did it again. I just cleaned the starter terminals. I'm still on the same starter.