Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Best alarm system? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/best-alarm-system-22320.html)

Danco 04-25-2011 06:37 PM

Best alarm system?

So I am moving and it seems that despite my new home being in a nice gated community, there have been a lot of car break-ins. I want to do what ever I can to not have my new Summit broken into. Can anyone recommend a good alarm system that can act as a deterrent? Maybe one that is very visible?

Most of the good alarms add keyless entry and remote start, but since the summit has that, I do not want to put another system in that may mess with what is in place.

Repo503 04-25-2011 06:47 PM

Re: Best alarm system?

Just have your installer put a blinking LED on your dash, thats usually plenty to stop the smash and grab types. Or park it in the garage, they usually are included with a house.

RageOfFury 04-25-2011 07:19 PM

Doesn't the Summit model already have an alarm + blinking LED in the instrument cluster?

fkloster 04-25-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 403098)
Doesn't the Summit model already have an alarm + blinking LED in the instrument cluster?

Correct. Pretty decent alarm imho. Would not want to even attempt to try and mess with one of these.

Bmwister 04-25-2011 08:59 PM

I'd recommend leaving your vehicle unlocked with NOTHING of value inside if there are that many break-ins. At least you won't have to worry about smashed glass on a wet day. An alarm is only effective after they break in; a dog would be a better early alert.

ilber 04-25-2011 09:34 PM

my jeep came with the trunk monkey :)

I do park my jeep with keys left in the car, but i do have:
1) nearest public transportation stop ~ 22 miles away, nearest pizza place ~ 22 miles ( until recently nearest gas station ~ 22 miles away) well you get the point
2) even in the middle of a decent chunk of land my property is fenced and gate accessed ( yep with web cam triggered by motion sensor :) )
3) I do have a lab- a loveable lick you to death 100 lb dufas, while 40lb boxer will EAT YOU, and if you even make an attempt to swing at her, my lab will "flip a switch" and act more like a german shepherd....

so I DO NOT use alarm, hell if i would need to lock my house i would have to rekey the doors, since in 9+ years that i have been here i never needed to lock it :)

on a series note, while i lived in NYC alarms were essetial, i believe most of the mordern alarms do , but you want a 2-way. for instance in NYC always there is a car with alarm buzzing. NOONE PAYS ANY ATTENTION. while my car could have been buzzing, but it was actually paging me with the location and type of alarm. for instance proximity sensor front right, or rear or microphone/glass break. So my car would be silent but i would made aware of what was going on. So 2-way alarm system. you can put strobes, bear traps, snakes what not... if someone wnats it bad enough- they gonna steal it...

with all the great technology my maxima was broken in 4 times in 2 weeks... yeah I installed the head unit myself and welded extra tabs to my firewall for "extra support".... the low life still stole my shit and i had to replace the f'ing window 3 times becuase numnuts could not figure out first 3 times that you need a torx head fom the engine compartment to undo metal brace or a cutting torch/grinder :)

get insurance with low enough deductable, were it MAKES YOU FEEL good ( because, you know you are not saving money) and ENJOY THE LIFE!

the1jake 04-26-2011 09:52 AM

I have the dog sleep in the back. No worries. :thumbsup: