Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Chrome Accessories (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/chrome-accessories-22344.html)

jugganator 04-26-2011 09:14 AM

Chrome Accessories

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Had my Jeep hand washed the other day, all appeared to be ok apart from what i thought were water marks on my chrome mouldings. Went to clean it on the weekend to find that these marks would not remove with anything, however i could scratch it off with my nail. Its on all the chrome\plastic bits on the outside of my car, roof-rails, wing mirrors, grill, the part where the doors\windows meet..

Attached a photo, has anyone had this happen to their car? and how did they fix it?

jugganator 04-28-2011 09:00 AM

Re: Chrome Accessories

bump....

anyone?

TJcust 04-28-2011 09:15 AM

Looks like a wax? Try buffing it out with a cloth and hot water.

jugganator 04-28-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJcust (Post 405202)
Looks like a wax? Try buffing it out with a cloth and hot water.

I tried hot water and a leather cloth, hot water and some random cloth, if you run over the staines with a wet cloth they disappear until dry again.........

suzieque 04-28-2011 10:50 AM

looks to me like more than water spots, like a damaged finish. maybe try a clay bar.

jugganator 04-28-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 405303)
looks to me like more than water spots, like a damaged finish. maybe try a clay bar.

I suspect the same, my dad too.

Whats a clay bar?

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-28-2011 12:24 PM

try using some polish on it? looks like the finish was washed off

jugganator 04-28-2011 12:27 PM

Got a feeling your right Svenska, weird how it scratchs off, will buy some polish tomorrow, is there anything i you can recommend or avoid? or anything that can bring back the shine?

TJXJWJ 04-28-2011 12:57 PM

Chrome polish will take that right off. Don't use metal polish...use CHROME polish. Any brand will do...I use Mother's in the red bottle. Once you have it all off, put a nice coat of wax over top. Cold winters, road salt and chemicals will do that.

jugganator 04-28-2011 01:09 PM

even though its actually plastic, and not chrome as jeep says?

suzieque 04-28-2011 01:11 PM

be careful with any polish on this stuff, it will scratch, remember this is a plastic chromed not metal chrome, tape a small area and do it as a test.

Mothers and Meguiars both have clay bar products. Local automotive stores that sell their products.

Another option is to try a tiny amount of CLR on a small area to see what it does.

TJXJWJ 04-28-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugganator (Post 405426)
even though its actually plastic, and not chrome as jeep says?

Yes sir...I've never scratched anything using Mothers Chrome polish and a microfiber or two. You'll get a greenish residue on the towel and the chrome will come right back like a mirror.

That's why I said not to use metal polish...they often have abrasives. A chrome polish should not.