Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Installed sharkfin but..... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/installed-sharkfin-but-22362.html)

LiquidOxygen 04-26-2011 02:19 PM

Installed sharkfin but.....

....forgot to tighten the screw!!! I was so worried about placement and alignment that I forgot all about the screw. It is attached but barely finger tight. The adhesive really stuck the fin on there good.

What do I do?.....

Scottina06 04-26-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Installed sharkfin but.....

hate to say it...but your gonna have to peel it off. heat it up with a haridryer or heat gun(use caution) and then pull it off slowly. You may have to use a plastic putty knife to get under it to get it started...but I doubt it...especially if you judt did it. Then aply new 3m tape and reapply

robpp 04-26-2011 03:18 PM

contact the maker, vd, and ask for a new piece of tape/

illudezion 04-26-2011 10:33 PM

Should be fine. Lots of OEM spoilers on cars are only held on by 3m automotive double sided tape. Only concern I would have is the nut coming loose and starts rattling.

robpp 04-26-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illudezion (Post 404309)
Should be fine. Lots of OEM spoilers on cars are only held on by 3m automotive double sided tape. Only concern I would have is the nut coming loose and starts rattling.

UMMMM I think he is concerned about his reception. the SCREW he talks about connects the SHARKFIN ANTENNA to the ANTENNA base. A LOOSE or POOR connection could interrupt his reception.

now the tape that comes with the antenna is very thin and fragile

SO WHAT HE IS ASKING ABOUT is the tape.......will he be able to reuse it after he LIFTS the antenna to tighten the screw?

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-26-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 403762)
hate to say it...but your gonna have to peel it off. heat it up with a haridryer or heat gun(use caution) and then pull it off slowly. You may have to use a plastic putty knife to get under it to get it started...but I doubt it...especially if you judt did it. Then aply new 3m tape and reapply

^x2 it should come off easily with some heat and gentle pulling if its still fresh

illudezion 04-27-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 404312)
UMMMM I think he is concerned about his reception. the SCREW he talks about connects the SHARKFIN ANTENNA to the ANTENNA base. A LOOSE or POOR connection could interrupt his reception.

now the tape that comes with the antenna is very thin and fragile

SO WHAT HE IS ASKING ABOUT is the tape.......will he be able to reuse it after he LIFTS the antenna to tighten the screw?

My bad...heat it up a little bit and use some 20lb fishing line to cut through the tape. Clean both the roof and antenna then reapply some 3M automotive double sided tape. Tape can be found and any automotive store and runs about $5.