Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   HID Failure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/hid-failure-22401.html)

Geevis 04-27-2011 05:56 AM

HID Failure

Does anyone know what would cause my passenger side low beam and fog light HIDs to both go out at the same time?

Last night I noticed that they were both out, but it was too dark to poke around under the hood to take a look.. This morning I tried turning them on again before work and the low beam fired up, but the fog is still out..

Could this be some kind of issue with the relays (which I have on both low's and fogs), or more of an issue of a loose ground?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue (no pun intended). :D

CPT2010 04-27-2011 09:40 AM

Re: HID Failure

Sometimes your ballast is bad. happened to me. i think a short happened and torched my low beam ballast.
as far as the fogs. when i had them on the relay they would go out. when they werent on a relay they were fine.

just remember if you run it without a relay you have to switch the ballast the other way on the bulb(switches polarity) positive would be negative and vice versa

B.P.O.D 04-27-2011 09:44 AM

could be ballast,bulb, ground,fuse in relay... def try checking fuse in relay first,swapping bulbs second,then ballasts,ground

Geevis 04-27-2011 09:49 AM

Thanks guys.. I'm going to take a closer look this evening, but I think it must be a loose ground on the passenger side, bc my low beam fired up this morning after it wasn't working last night, and the fog still did not turn on.. I'll try that first and then see if I can swap out the relays from the other side to see if they work then.

B.P.O.D 04-27-2011 09:56 AM

yeah bro hopefully its just that. no reason to buy new kits yet!

White Chocolate 04-27-2011 10:53 AM

Sounds like a ground issue. Are both grounds located at the same spot?

dcjeepgc 04-27-2011 01:04 PM

95% of the problems with HIDs are either the ground or the relays!

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-27-2011 01:08 PM

where did you put your grounds?

Geevis 04-27-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 404572)
Sounds like a ground issue. Are both grounds located at the same spot?

I have both grounds going to the same spot on the inner fender. I'm thinking they became loose, bc the low beam worked this morning after not working last night.. I'll take a closer look after work if I have some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeepgc (Post 404659)
95% of the problems with HIDs are either the ground or the relays!

I know, I'm almost positive my issue is either relay or ground related. They've lasted over 2 years w/o any issues, so I was surprised last night to say the least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 404666)
where did you put your grounds?

Inner fender on both sides.. I'm going to re-tighten the passenger side tonight and see if that works.

Thanks for all of the help!!!

B.P.O.D 04-27-2011 01:45 PM

let us know!

Geevis 04-27-2011 04:45 PM

Ok, so I took a closer look when I got home tonight and I think it's my passenger side fog light ballast. When I powered them on I heard the drivers side ignite, but not the passenger side.

But that still doesn't explain why my passenger side low beam wouldn't work last night. It has ignited and worked every time I tried them today.

In any event I will start off by purchasing a new ballast and then go from there.

White Chocolate 04-27-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geevis (Post 404786)
Ok, so I took a closer look when I got home tonight and I think it's my passenger side fog light ballast. When I powered them on I heard the drivers side ignite, but not the passenger side.

But that still doesn't explain why my passenger side low beam wouldn't work last night. It has ignited and worked every time I tried them today.

In any event I will start off by purchasing a new ballast and then go from there.

Check your fuses on the relay man, I had this happen, over time water moisture corrodes the fuse/ I switched my fuses and I was good to go. If thats not the issue check the actual relay box, where the switch is. I also had an issue where so much moisture got stuck in the relay box that the switch wouldnt move anymore due to a severe amount of rust inside.