Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Looking for advice on purchasing a new Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/looking-for-advice-on-purchasing-a-new-jeep-22407.html)

rszwestko 04-27-2011 09:59 AM

Looking for advice on purchasing a new Jeep

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum, unfortunately I am not a Jeep owner yet but I do have a difficult decision to make in the next few months, and I was hoping someone can help me with my decision. Here is my story:
I currently lease a 08 Infiniti G35x S, its a great car and I love it, but with the second baby on the way I have to get a bigger car. I was never a fan of SUV's, but when the new jeep came out I decided that my next car will be either a crossover or a smaller SUV..
So here are the cars I considered, my budget limit is 45k(with taxes).
BMW X5 (too expensive)
Acura MDX (wife says its too big)
Mazda CX9 (i just don't like it, no offense to anyone that owns one)
VW Touareg (over 50k!!, nice car but too much $$)
Infiniti FX (its a coin flip between Jeep and FX)
Jeep (wife likes it a lot, so do I)

Now here is my problem. I have a 39 month lease which ends on 3/2012, Infiniti has something called "early termination program" which allows you to turn in your lease early with no penalties, you just have to pay the current balance - the wholesale value, in my case its $3100 and I walk away from the lease. If I choose to keep the car until the end it will cost me $6500 in payments + around $1000 over mileage fee + $350 disposition. If I choose to lease the FX the over milage and disposition fee will most likely be written off. My problem with the FX is that the trunk space is really small, and I am afraid that I'll have the same problem as with the G, lack of room. Don't get me wrong, I love the Infiniti, the car drives great, its fast, has great handling, etc etc, but not practical for me at this stage of my life. BTW I will be purchasing the Jeep and not leasing due to poor residuals.

So my question is should I keep the G until the end and wait for 2012, or should I give it back now and pay the early termination fee, or buy the G at the end of the lease and wait for the Diesel Jeep to come out.
I drive about 15k miles or more a year, 90% city driving(NYC). I am getting about 15.5mpg with the G, and still cant decide between V6 or HEMI if I decide to get it now.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jim Hef 04-27-2011 10:30 AM

Re: Looking for advice on purchasing a new Jeep

In my opinion, the mileage difference between the V8 and V6 is negligible, so go with the added power of the Hemi and get the other benefits. Also, I wouldn't buy a vehicle out of your own lease to carry it for a longer period. The pricing doesn't work out with the added carrying charges. You may be able to negotiate a buyout of your present lease with a Jeep dealer, but probably not for 9 months of cost. Why are you intent to bow out of your present lease at this point...just the utility value of the SUV?

rszwestko 04-27-2011 10:45 AM

I have to agree on the HEMI with you. I am considering breaking the lease earlier because of the fact that it will cost me around $7500 until the end vs. ending it now for $3100. Of course I will pay a loan on a new car but I will also drive a new car. Keeping the car or returning it now wont save me money, but instead of paying the remaining payments i rather pay for the Jeep which I intend to get anyway. ( I hope my logic makes sense??!?). Having the dealer buyout the car is out of the question, I would loose too much money on the deal, I am only considering it using Nissans "early termination" program which is kind of unique to other brands.

jgc4ever 04-27-2011 11:08 AM

You will probably get less than 11 mpg with that type of driving with the HEMI, but I still think it's worth getting the HEMI over the V6 if you like acceleration, like I do! :thumbsup:

Jim Hef 04-27-2011 12:14 PM

Early out

westco, does that "deal" on the ending of the lease still hold if you don't buy another Infinity?

rszwestko 04-27-2011 12:21 PM

Re: Early out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 404627)
westco, does that "deal" on the ending of the lease still hold if you don't buy another Infinity?

Yes, it doesn't matter what you decide to do afterwards. It allows you to end your lease before the maturity date. In order to qualify for this program you must be past your 12th payment and you cant have less than 6 payments left.

Jim Hef 04-27-2011 12:39 PM

That's a good deal for you. It may be a matter of them getting better finance rates now than when you initiated the lease.

rszwestko 04-27-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 404642)
That's a good deal for you. It may be a matter of them getting better finance rates now than when you initiated the lease.

I think the whole idea of the program is that there is always demand for used cars, Nissan is not loosing anything on the deal they are actually making money on both ends. I am still trying to figure out if I should stick around for the diesel or wait until 2012 model comes out.
Sometimes I wish I didnt care about cars so much and just buy whatever because its pretty :) decisions, decisions....

bselman 04-27-2011 12:59 PM

I own a 2008 FX35 (wife's car.) Its her second one, first one being in 2004. She absolutely loves them. I'm not a huge fan of the suspension/tire combo (non-sport package with 18" wheels.) Its got great performance for a V6 (better than the V6 JGC,) very good off-the-line performance, very cool (albeit fake) Ferrari sounding exhaust, and pulling in a solid 18.5 mpg 50/50 of highway/city driving. The purchase value compared to the options is very good as well. She has the full tech, tour and premium packages. The redesign in '09 brought different packages and higher prices for them too. We looked at buying a new one, but now the car spec'd the same way is pushing 49K. The biggest advantage to the FX over the Jeep on a financial end is the residual and money rates. The lease deals on a new FX far outweigh that of a new Jeep. On a purchase, I believe both Ally and IFS offer 3.9% on a 60 month term. As for options lists, Jeep now has the fancier cruise, blind spot, etc., but Infiniti and other premium brands have had that for years. Infiniti lacks the dual paned sunroof, power liftgate and a solid 4WD system. The Infiniti's AWD module which only acts below 19MPH is not good for anything over a few inches (getting sideways in 4 inches is horrible.) As for usability behind the rear seats, the Jeep wins hands down compared to the FX. I like the look, but the FX can hardly take anything other than a golf bag, or grocery bags. It does not have the space like the Jeep.

You can load up the Jeep V6 with all the options, and walk away with a few grand in your pocket, and space in the back to put the money. The fit-n-finish might be a little better, but your paying for it. Of'course another big factor in my life (her's as well,) you get the loaner cars for service work, but not at my Jeep dealers near me.

I wouldn't rule out the XC60/90, or a lightly optioned Toureg2. The maintenance programs they offer do save a little money throughout the first few years, compared to spending money at every oil change, or brake shoe job.

Just my $.02. Good luck with your purchase!

K/B out.

rszwestko 04-27-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bselman (Post 404653)
I own a 2008 FX35 (wife's car.) Its her second one, first one being in 2004. She absolutely loves them. I'm not a huge fan of the suspension/tire combo (non-sport package with 18" wheels.) Its got great performance for a V6 (better than the V6 JGC,) very good off-the-line performance, very cool (albeit fake) Ferrari sounding exhaust, and pulling in a solid 18.5 mpg 50/50 of highway/city driving. The purchase value compared to the options is very good as well. She has the full tech, tour and premium packages. The redesign in '09 brought different packages and higher prices for them too. We looked at buying a new one, but now the car spec'd the same way is pushing 49K. The biggest advantage to the FX over the Jeep on a financial end is the residual and money rates. The lease deals on a new FX far outweigh that of a new Jeep. On a purchase, I believe both Ally and IFS offer 3.9% on a 60 month term. As for options lists, Jeep now has the fancier cruise, blind spot, etc., but Infiniti and other premium brands have had that for years. Infiniti lacks the dual paned sunroof, power liftgate and a solid 4WD system. The Infiniti's AWD module which only acts below 19MPH is not good for anything over a few inches (getting sideways in 4 inches is horrible.) As for usability behind the rear seats, the Jeep wins hands down compared to the FX. I like the look, but the FX can hardly take anything other than a golf bag, or grocery bags. It does not have the space like the Jeep.

You can load up the Jeep V6 with all the options, and walk away with a few grand in your pocket, and space in the back to put the money. The fit-n-finish might be a little better, but your paying for it. Of'course another big factor in my life (her's as well,) you get the loaner cars for service work, but not at my Jeep dealers near me.

I wouldn't rule out the XC60/90, or a lightly optioned Toureg2. The maintenance programs they offer do save a little money throughout the first few years, compared to spending money at every oil change, or brake shoe job.

Just my $.02. Good luck with your purchase!

K/B out.

Thats an excellent comparison, I feel the same way about my G as you about the FX. Forgetting the price for a moment which one would you get if you had to buy it in the next 2 months (from your post it seems that you drive both).
thanks.

ilber 04-27-2011 01:46 PM

I think another winning point for me was the towing abilities... Infinity had nothing that suotes me. but if i didn't get the JGC i would be rolling in 2011 G35x-s...and 2011 2500HD or similar cummings with manual tranny
Just as said jeep will be more on the gas, but with added benefit of weight and size and offroad ability.
I have a 8 y/o and frankly it is plenty room. if you have multiple baby sits, well minivan would be he easiest one to live with...I know i love Station wagons, but if i was going multiple babysits- minivan ( caravan)...
If it would be me, i would let the lease come to its end and perhaphs diesel GC would be available... but if you got a desire for a new vehicle that's another story.
buying a GC stricly for the room, i think you can do better, in terms of price and car-like driving... if you want a jeep-nothing else would make it.
I chose GC because of:

it is a JEEP-offroadability
comfort and features
tow capacity
size /safety
price

good luck with whatever you decide!

dobiegillis 04-27-2011 05:24 PM

We have an 09 G37S so liking infinitis we looked at the FX when I wanted an suv. I wasn't interested in leasing so I didn't look at the metrics of that kind of deal but we quickly ruled out the FX largely on space (too small) and price (under a purchase scenario). It was just too expensive for what you got and I didn't like the styling with the 2010 redesign. The jgc is way better looking and when fully optioned (if you can find one!) a better value than the near-lux imports like Infiniti, Volvo, and Acura. Of course the chrysler warranty and dealer network is inferior so there is a trade off there. I also believe there is a greater risk with Chrysler build quality than on the imports but I was willing to take that risk and the other trade offs to join the jeep club!