Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Break in Method V6

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  AIR_RAM 
#1 ·
Is it a good idea to seat the rings on the Pentastar? Strong acceleration, every now and then during break in? If so, what would be the proper method with this engine?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Everyone has a different opinion on this. I have always done this on all new cars with great results. In my opinion, the real key to break-in is to really baby your engine before it is fully warmed up, for the first ten minutes or so each time you drive. I actually take it easy on my cars while the engine is cold even after break-in. Once it's warm I believe you need to occasionally run wide open throttle, but only at highway speeds now and then. Other opinions will certainly be different ... Full throttle right after startup in the dead of Winter is horrible for engine longevity, yet most people pay very little attention to it.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, you really need to get any engine up to operating temperatures before making any moderate to stressful demands on them.

I've used Motoman's break in method on all of my new vehicles and toys. Was just wondering if there was any reason not to, with the Pentastar (with all of the sophisticated electronic systems).

Thanks!

People should discuss this with their service manager before using this method on their own vehicle.

#5 ·
The key to a good break in on a brand new engine is drive it like its stolen... but this is most important in the first startup of the engine since rings are broken in in the first 20 minutes of their life.

As mentioned above, the factory has already broken in your engine before you received it. With that said... I run it as hard as possible to better break it in...

But the WORST thing you can do on a new engine is baby it...

Engines that are run hard typically make more power and are more fuel efficient than engines that has been run easy. This also holds true to new vehicles. It’s not uncommon for the guys running the quickest times at the track to also turn around and boast the best MPG... coincidence? <-- Nope!

Watch any shop who builds engines... they flog them hard ASAP after the engine reaches operating temperature. This is the best / only way to seat the rings and the first few minutes are CRITICAL to seating the rings.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

#6 · (Edited)
But the WORST thing you can do on a new engine is baby it...
Please disregard generalities like this. BMW for example mentions in my 335i manual to take it easy on the engine for the first 1200 miles (decent link). I think they know a little more about engines than a guy AIR_RAM on an internet forum.

I don't know about the Pentastar, but unless they mention it in the owners manual, I would drive as normal. Likely they've already done all the breaking in that the engine needs.

#8 ·
Didn't realize the manuals were on the US website. I've been searching Google and the Canadian site for manuals, but couldn't find any. I actually ordered hard copies last week.

Thanks for that!

#9 ·
This is a great Forum, lots of information and helpful people!

Thanks for everyone's posts!

#11 · (Edited)
Is it a good idea to seat the rings on the Pentastar? Strong acceleration, every now and then during break in? If so, what would be the proper method with this engine?

Thanks!
I just read your link to the "MOTOMAN" and I agree with his method 100% all the way. He makes a great point about sport bikes and how they tend to run great with fewer issues due to the fact that most owners can not resist the urge to run them hard... Stick with that theory and your engine will ALWAYS run better than somone who took the soft touch approach.

Please disregard generalities like this. BMW for example mentions in my 335i manual to take it easy on the engine for the first 1200 miles (decent link). I think they know a little more about engines than a guy AIR_RAM on an internet forum.

I don't know about the Pentastar, but unless they mention it in the owners manual, I would drive as normal. Likely they've already done all the breaking in that the engine needs.

LOL... or you could do some research on your own and LEARN how to brake in a brand new engine... because its CLEAR you have never done so... Baised on your vage answer to just read the owners manual.

I am by no means an authority on this but in my experience I've seen and have learned the hard way with the "BABY IT" theory you seem to be pressing. Fact is, if you brake in a new engine with your BABY IT theory, the rings will never seat well and it will burn oil until you remove the pistons, re-hone the cylinders and then re-ring the pistons... then you get to try it all over again. <---- Been there done that! My theory in a nut shell is to just Run it hard, let it cool, Run it hard, let it cool and run it harder, let it cool.... The more cooling cycles between running it hard the greater it will run over its lifetime.

Bottom line... those who drive there vehicles harder early on have better running engines that burn less oil and make more power. So dont take my word... RESEARCH... the aswers are a click away and they are very unlikely to be found in your owners manual.

The owners manual is a great tool... but its written for the masses... and it can NOT advocate driving fast/hard... Most all engines built by the factory have already run the engines at WOT during brake in... so new vehicles will arrive with the rings already seated sufficiently... BUT you can do more good by your engine by running it hard... This is not only my theory but the theory of most engine builders.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.