Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   EGR and IAC?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/egr-and-iac-22518.html)

djcodered 04-29-2011 08:54 AM

EGR and IAC??

Hi Everyone,

First let me tell you the why....new acquisition, no idea of past service...the dealership I took it to the last time for service and the one I purchased from both tell me service records aren't available...Whatever! In the meantime..I am trying to diagnose a problem, and take a proactive stance and change out some things.

I had an erratic idle when in park. I mistakingly didn't post long enough here first and took it to a dealership, they diagnosed a TPS. Okay so that has been fixed.

So since I have bought it...New PCV Valve, new sparkplugs, new TPS, changed oil, new battery. In the que for the next few weekends are: Transmission Fluid/Filter, Differential Fluid and Transfer Case Fluid. I also am still in the process of deciding on the lift and suspension up grades (not important on this thread)

Truck still idles rough. No more erratic idling, however at very slow or stand still you can feel the idle "shaking" the vehicle. It is not noticeable on the tachometer. It has not stalled up to this point, however it gives the feeling that it could.. My plan is to replace the EGR and IAC.

All this to ask...can anyone confirm the part numbers? When I look online at Advanced Auto there is one EGR Valve, and no IAC. Auto Zone has no EGR valve, and one IAC. I don't feel comfortable that either of these are correct.

Thanks in advance.

05WK 04-29-2011 09:57 AM

Re: EGR and IAC??

I've heard our jeeps have an EGR, but last I looked I wasn't able to find it. There have been posts on this subject recently

Djsal5 04-29-2011 10:55 AM

the egr valve is located behind the motor very close to the fire wall just replaced mine and the IAC is mounted right on the TB below the TPS

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-29-2011 11:59 AM

egr on the 4.7 is exactly where djsal5 said it is....... it is a bitch to get to and change. they seem to go after about 75-80k miles

TJXJWJ 04-29-2011 01:12 PM

Have you cleaned the TB? I would suggest removing it and giving it a good cleaning before you replace too much stuff. It's still smart to replace those sensors because the likelyhood of them failing on your watch is pretty high, but still, you could replace sensors and install them on a dirty TB and still have an idle issue. Cleaning it is free... :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-29-2011 01:13 PM

did you install copper plugs?

djcodered 04-29-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 406164)
Have you cleaned the TB? I would suggest removing it and giving it a good cleaning before you replace too much stuff. It's still smart to replace those sensors because the likelyhood of them failing on your watch is pretty high, but still, you could replace sensors and install them on a dirty TB and still have an idle issue. Cleaning it is free... :)

hmm cleaning th TB? I am under the impression that it shouldn't be done. Not by a layman. And "supposedly" it was done before I purchased the vehicle, because it was doing this before I purchased it, I mentioned it to the salesman and they said service dept. said it was dirty TB and it was cleaned. Upon purchase it stopped doing the idle problem (this one). It just recently started up again.

djcodered 04-29-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 406165)
did you install copper plugs?

Yes I did. Thanks for verifying...

TJXJWJ 04-29-2011 02:01 PM

If you can do fluid changes, you can do this. Believe me...very simple. And then YOU know that it was done. The best way I've found is to simply remove the entire TB (I think it's like 3 or 4 bolts), disconnect the associated connectors and cables, remove the sensors, and go to town with some carb spray and a toothbrush. Get all the build up off from the back of the butterfly and in the idle air passages, and re-install. 30 minutes max...and anyone that can change oil can handle this.

Djsal5 04-29-2011 02:34 PM

my mechanic charged me 50 bucks also when you want to change it.. make sure you truck is cool because the egr valve gets hot very hot all the emissions travel through it i also just had my truck diagnosed 78 bucks but the told me i need a IAC so im looking to get it from the dealer under my mechanics garage name (alot cheaper) 80 oposed to 110 i love my truck!!!

SvenskaJeepGuy 04-29-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djsal5 (Post 406210)
my mechanic charged me 50 bucks also when you want to change it.. make sure you truck is cool because the egr valve gets hot very hot all the emissions travel through it i also just had my truck diagnosed 78 bucks but the told me i need a IAC so im looking to get it from the dealer under my mechanics garage name (alot cheaper) 80 oposed to 110 i love my truck!!!

50 is what my mechanic charged as well. its worth it because it is in a very difficult spot.

djcodered 04-30-2011 11:34 AM

Thanks every one, I am searching through the threads to find out how to determine if EGR or IAC is bad, then I will try to diagnose today. Not too sure about replacing myself if a local mechanic will only charge $50??? Will post results. Thanks Alot!