Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Rear video with Mygig Unlock and console mounted monitor (pics) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/rear-video-with-mygig-unlock-and-console-mounted-monitor-pics-22568.html)

CrazyJ 04-30-2011 12:32 PM

Rear video with Mygig Unlock and console mounted monitor (pics)

9 Attachment(s)
I bought the mygig unlock from tvandnav2go for $194.

I bought the monitor below for $46:
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-TFT-LCD-Color-...item2c5b38eb4a

I was skeptical about the quality of monitor, but I have at least 2 other things I could use it for, so I decided to roll the dice. The quality turned out pretty good. The audio picks up some noise. The blacks aren't very black. But both of those are to be expected from cheap Hong Kong stuff, and overall it was quite nice. I would have been happier with a 9", but I guess that's always the case ;)

The mygig unlock install was a little tricky. First of all, the trim piece does not come off as cleanly as I would have liked. I bought the harbor freight plastic tools, which I highly recommend. I also took my time. Even so, still two of the little orange clips popped off, which I believe is unavoidable. I could only find one of them even after searching for at least 30 minutes, and even sucking around with a tube collected to a vacuum cleaner. You can't buy the clips individually. They only come with the entire bezel assembly. I have to figure most people just don't let it bother them.

Also there is no place to secure the unit. I fed the wires to the open cavity behind the HVAC controls, but struggled to find a good point to secure the unit. I ended up zip-tying it to the keyless antenna. You must secure it to something, or it will find a way to rattle.

Running the video wires back to the console was very easy. Removing the console and gear shift trim was much easier than removing the bezel around the radio. I ran them back to the armrest compartment and drilled a hole for the single DIN jack for the tv monitor. The jack is facing downwards, so you wouldn't even know it is in the armrest compartment if you weren't feeling for it. It's nice there is the little notch for running wires out of the armrest compartment. One of the several things that made this a clean-enough-install for me to do on brand new 40k vehicle.

The TV monitor came with a little stand with padding mounting tape. I bent the stand around a 4" piece of PVC that matched the contour of the center console. I "unstickied" the tape by putting a bunch of lint on it, but it still has grip. Then I strapped it down with an old ipod armband. It's not going anywhere.

The mygig unlock is wonderful. "View Video" button is always visible. Before it was inconsistently visible even when stopped. Navigation works great. The backup camera is always available. It's quite a fun novelty when driving 85 mph, but it's really useful when pulling into my garage to make sure I'm in far enough. The VES inputs and outputs are a really nice bonus.

The 430N control is pretty slick. It let's you send any of the inputs to the front or to the back.

Also you'll see a picture of a brace I used for gluing down some of the wood trim. Discussed here:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/how-is-the-interior-wood-trim-affixed-19713.html

Tinkan 05-01-2011 07:08 PM

Re: Rear video with Mygig Unlock and console mounted monitor (pics)

I am in the process on installing mine today. Hav ethe dash open but just can not remember which position the dip switches go in. I like the monitor idea. Great setup for when there are others in the back on those long trips.

I too have the bit of wood trip coming loose but it has been like that since day one. I purchased some 3m tape to stick down. I like the brace idea. may have to try that.

CrazyJ 05-01-2011 08:38 PM

I just left the DIP switches alone and everything worked. There is a post somewhere on here that discusses the right positions though.

And I wouldn't count on mounting tape holding that piece. Maybe the 3m stuff is better than it used to be though. I actually used some old mounting tape instead of the zip ties to hold down the mygig unlock at first. But after two days it came loose and started rattling around. Luckily I left the bezel assembly off during this period, so I didn't have to rip everything apart again.

I would go ahead and run a/v cables down to the lower area so that you can get at them without having to remove the radio bezel again. Also run 3 wires for the power, switched power, and ground. They should be on the same harness. That's what I did on the original install because my monitor didn't come for 2 weeks or so afterwards.

Tinkan 05-01-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyJ (Post 407301)
I just left the DIP switches alone and everything worked. There is a post somewhere on here that discusses the right positions though.

And I wouldn't count on mounting tape holding that piece. Maybe the 3m stuff is better than it used to be though. I actually used some old mounting tape instead of the zip ties to hold down the mygig unlock at first. But after two days it came loose and started rattling around. Luckily I left the bezel assembly off during this period, so I didn't have to rip everything apart again.

I would go ahead and run a/v cables down to the lower area so that you can get at them without having to remove the radio bezel again. Also run 3 wires for the power, switched power, and ground. They should be on the same harness. That's what I did on the original install because my monitor didn't come for 2 weeks or so afterwards.

I even went as far as putting the box in the lower compartment for now.
Not sure how to get the rear camers to come on.
This is real sad as I am an engineer.....:(

CrazyJ 05-01-2011 09:52 PM

Rear camera is supposed to come on with 2 presses of the uconnect phone button within 2 seconds. I've found that the first press needs to be about 1 second long, then quickly tap a second time. This will bring up the uconnect screen then kind of immediately cancel then showing the rear cam. Sometimes I mess up and it stays on the "Uconnect phone connected: Droid" or whatever.

Deserthucker 05-02-2011 04:40 AM

which mygig lock-pick did you get

J13ntv 05-04-2011 09:30 AM

Nice write up! What did you use the 2x4 for, it looks like your holding it up for some reason?

nut17 08-01-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkan (Post 407305)
I even went as far as putting the box in the lower compartment for now.
Not sure how to get the rear camers to come on.
This is real sad as I am an engineer.....:(

I am interested to hear how your system is working now you have learned all the benefits.

I have a new WK2 Overland diesel and I am trying to source a lockpick, but the suppliers seem reluctant to ship to New Zealand from the States.

They seem to be marketing a Version 4 unit now. Do you know if this will work in my new Jeep?

Cheers Chris

CrazyJ 08-01-2011 06:41 PM

It still works great-- So great I don't even notice it; it just plays Yo Gabba Gabba in a loop for my son when he's in the back.

I actually turned it around and mounted it on the center headrest facing forward on the backseat. They recommend kids face back until 2 years now, so it'll be like that for the next year. The cord was the _perfect_ length for this leaving just the right amount of slack. It runs under a rear mat then up between the seats directly to the monitor. Very stealthy and clean. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

I still have the mounting bracket on the center console though. The mounting tape is very strong and a strap isn't needed to hold it once it's been there for a couple of days. I hope it will come off easily!

thinkingjeep 09-14-2011 02:26 PM

Do you have the option for video input of an external device (i.e. ipod, ipad, droid, etc.) through RCA cables to be played on the MyGig screen or your "Hong Kong manufactured" screen? If so, how is the quality of the video feed? I've read on other posts that the quality on the CoastalETech "Lockpick" is mediocre at best due to the fact that since the backup camera is constantly powered on, it bleeds the signal into other sources. Trying to decide if the TVnadNav2Go Unlocker does the same.

Thanks

CrazyJ 09-14-2011 07:00 PM

I ran cables to for the video input to the console, but I haven't tried hooking anything to them.

Megatron 09-14-2011 08:21 PM

Wow - that looks real cool.