Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Transmission Overhaul? V8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/transmission-overhaul-v8-22574.html)

justin1569 04-30-2011 03:52 PM

Transmission Overhaul? V8

My vehicle has stalled a couple of times when coming to a complete stop and then accelerating soon after. At first I thought it was bad gas the first time, but the second time I realized it wasn't the gas. What has been happening is that I would drive then slow down...as soon as I stop the vehicle revs drop below 1000 RPM then all is well...when the light would go green the vehicle would just cut out upon accelerating. I'd then shift into park, restart and all would be fine. It also happened before when I shifted into reverse then put my foot on the gas...upon doing so the vehicle stalled...

Total stalls now is at 3 so I brought the vehicle in and they said nothing was wrong. I only have 4000kms on the Overland V8 and they said that a valve may have stuck causing the engine to bog out. The person said it may never happen again and to just monitor it because the engine is still breaking itself in. She said if it becomes a problem, then they will have to replace the entire transmission...really?

Seems overkill I think but I'm glad I have warranty. My biggest fear is performing a left turn at an intersection, light goes yellow, I go, but then it stalls, then I'm stuck for a small length of time in the middle of the intersection with a brand new vehicle. Embarrassing and dangerous at the same time.

Can anyone please shed some light on this matter? I haven't heard of people replacing their transmission on the 2011 GC yet. I've had an '06 Overland before this with no issues. Am I alone here?:mad:

mjw930 04-30-2011 10:08 PM

Re: Transmission Overhaul? V8

WOW, stuck valve and replace the trans. I suggest you find another dealer or talk to the service manager directly. Both of those answers are total BS.

jp467 04-30-2011 11:07 PM

That would be a first... Replace the transmission because of a stalling problem? I suppose if you went in with a slipping trans they would replace the engine. I think I would go to another dealer.

Lingohocken 05-01-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 406869)
That would be a first... Replace the transmission because of a stalling problem? I suppose if you went in with a slipping trans they would replace the engine. I think I would go to another dealer.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-01-2011 01:41 AM

go to another dealer, that one is filled with morons

justin1569 05-01-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 406855)
WOW, stuck valve and replace the trans. I suggest you find another dealer or talk to the service manager directly. Both of those answers are total BS.

what do you think it could be?

mjw930 05-01-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin1569 (Post 407199)

Bad or unplugged sensor is the likely suspect. Considering this is a drive by wire care it should NEVER stall and if it does, it's probably NOT mechanical. Just because there aren't any codes doesn't mean it may not have an out of range sensor. They need to perform a complete diagnostic and if nothing is found reflash the ECM as it may simply have a corrupt firmware load.

Radside 05-02-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin1569 (Post 407199)

The JK had this or a similar issue and Jeep issued a recall to reprogram the TIPM. Search the JK forum and you will find that the TIPM, torque converter, and/or PCM was either reprogrammed or replaced in some cases. This problem seem to go hand in hand with the shudder issue which the JK guys referred to as the death wobble.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...ngine-stalling