Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   How much oil between add and full? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/how-much-oil-between-add-and-full-22626.html)

rich mac 05-01-2011 08:51 PM

How much oil between add and full?

Just changed my oil for the first time in my Hemi Overland. After starting and running, then letting the engine cool about an hour, I checked the oil level and it was exactly on the 'add' line. The level as the same after setting overnight. Before changing, the oil level was about halfway between the 'add' and 'full' marks (similar conditions: engine cool, same location). I used 7 quarts of oil and an oem mopar filter, but it looks like I to add need a little more. How much should I add to bring it up to the full mark? I figure about a pint, but I don't want to overfill.
thanks
:confused::confused:

Knightrider03m 05-01-2011 09:00 PM

Re: How much oil between add and full?

Dump half of a pint in it while hot and if you still need more, add more.

jeep2011 05-02-2011 09:11 AM

It is pretty much standard 1 qt. for any car, but probably just a tad less than a full qt.

J13ntv 05-02-2011 09:17 AM

Yep as Jeep2011 said usually the crisscross from add to the top is about a quart. 7-8 qts seems a little high did you spill some there bud? :lol:

Gkjeep 05-02-2011 10:05 AM

7 quarts puts mine just above the add mark, maybe about a 1/4 over it. I've never seen this on any other vehicle I've owned. I know the manual says 7 qts for oil and filter change, but I don't understand why it doesn't come to the full mark. I do my own oil changes and can confirm every drop of Pennzoil ultra went into the motor.

nek121328 05-02-2011 11:15 AM

My knowledgeable JEEP tech said leave it at the add mark. Otherwise the excess oil may cause cylinder deactivation issues.

vikingdave 05-02-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 407307)
Just changed my oil for the first time in my Hemi Overland. After starting and running, then letting the engine cool about an hour, I checked the oil level and it was exactly on the 'add' line. The level as the same after setting overnight. Before changing, the oil level was about halfway between the 'add' and 'full' marks (similar conditions: engine cool, same location). I used 7 quarts of oil and an oem mopar filter, but it looks like I to add need a little more. How much should I add to bring it up to the full mark? I figure about a pint, but I don't want to overfill.
thanks
:confused::confused:

Mine takes almost eight quarts to reach the top of the full mark. I know the manual says seven. I wonder if it's because of an oil cooler with the tow package ?

vikingdave 05-02-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 407660)
My knowledgeable JEEP tech said leave it at the add mark. Otherwise the excess oil may cause cylinder deactivation issues.

Why would Jeep possibly design a dipstick telling you to "Add" oil if it would cause problems? I would trust the manufacturer more than your guy at the dealership.

rich mac 05-02-2011 12:48 PM

Thanks for the responses, As suggested, I'm thinking the Tow IV package adds to the capacity. The factory put the level at about halfway up the 'safe' zone so I'm going to aim from that. Based on your feedback, I think that will be about a pint. I'm off to buy some more Motorcraft. :thumbsup:

nek121328 05-03-2011 06:24 AM

My tech has been at the dealership for almost 20 years. Attends the Jeep training meetings and knows why Jeep does what they do. I'll trust him.

vikingdave 05-03-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 408176)
My tech has been at the dealership for almost 20 years. Attends the Jeep training meetings and knows why Jeep does what they do. I'll trust him.

I would like to hear his explanation of why "Add" means "Full". I just have a hard time understanding why Jeep wouldn't modify the dipstick if this was the case. Where is the real position that indicates that you need to add oil then, 1/2" below the add mark?

silver04 05-04-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingdave (Post 407701)
Mine takes almost eight quarts to reach the top of the full mark. I know the manual says seven. I wonder if it's because of an oil cooler with the tow package ?

I put 7 quarts in and it is almost to the end of the hatch marks on the dip stick, i have the tow option as well.
If it is taking 8 quarts you might want to contact the dealer to take a look and see why as something doesn't sound right with the dip stick reading. Putting 8 quarts when the MANUFACTURE calls for 7 is not good for the motor.