Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   leaking transmission fluid at radiator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/leaking-transmission-fluid-at-radiator-22635.html)

zimzee 05-02-2011 12:11 AM

leaking transmission fluid at radiator

HELLO
Where the top transmission hose goes into the radiator well the bit it attaches to has got a leak where the big flat nut touches the radiator and i wanted to know is it just a matter of unscrewing it and wrapping some plumbers tape around the thread or do i have to drain the coolant out to stop it mixing because i really do not know. Thanx, i hope this makes sense lol

TJXJWJ 05-02-2011 08:07 AM

Re: leaking transmission fluid at radiator

I'm 99% sure that you'll not see any antifreeze by disconnecting that hose. You'll get only trans oil leaking out of the line and dribbling out of the trans cooler. I don't think thread tape is recommended in this case because some might end up coming loose and getting into the system. Maybe try some thread paste? Have you tried just tightening it a little? Usually it looks like it's leaking from the threaded area, but it's actually the crimp, where the rubber meets the metal end. It then runs down the metal end to the trans cooler. You may want to clean it off really well and check it from underneath after running it.

prsdrat 01-29-2012 03:37 PM

Mine's doing the same thing.

tjxjwj- can you tell me what type of fitting that is at the radiator?

I'm reluctant to just try and tighten it without having some idea as
to whether it's a flare or compression type fitting.

01grand 02-01-2012 05:34 PM

I believe its a flare fitting but I'm not 100%

Z28jeep 02-02-2012 11:16 AM

My having the same problem. Trans cooler lines leaking at radiator. Has anyone found a permanent fix for this? From what I understand it's a common problem with the 4.7L . Does anyone know what all has to come off to access the lines at the cooler/radiator? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Chris

bacernate 02-04-2012 07:03 PM

We do these radiators all the time at work and when you tighten the line down the brass insert comes loose. Take the line off at the radiator then unscrew the threaded piece. It will have 2 flat spots on the end of it. If the lower one is leaking it's a real pita, unless the rad and fan assembly is out of the car. Use liquid teflon sealant on this fitting and screw it back in and then a little on the fitting where the line screw onto it. Do not unscrew the big nut on the radiator, that is the part that holds the cooler in place. There is a gasket behind that holds the coolant in.