Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Lights at Start Up (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/lights-at-start-up-22670.html)

Hollywood 05-02-2011 05:53 PM

Lights at Start Up

Just thumbing through my owners manual (which I've found some discrepancies with) and it says at start up I should see the battery/charging indicator lamp light up as a bulb check, and I can't for the life of me see it. Anyone with a 5.7 see where this is at start up? I can see the Electronic Throttle lamp & just about every other one. I just want to be sure something isn't wrong.

RageOfFury 05-02-2011 06:29 PM

Re: Lights at Start Up

According to the "Understanding your instrument panel" section of the owner's guide, there is no such battery/charging lamp.

Hollywood 05-02-2011 07:21 PM

No it's definitely there. I saw it in all its glory last week when I had a charging issue. My question is, the book says it's supposed to come on as a "lamp check" at start up, and I don't seen it each time a start up the car. See all the other lamp checks, but no "battery" / charging indicator??

RageOfFury 05-02-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 407956)
No it's definitely there. I saw it in all its glory last week when I had a charging issue. My question is, the book says it's supposed to come on as a "lamp check" at start up, and I haven't seen it each time a start up the car. See all the other lamp checks, but no "battery" / charging indicator??

Ahhh...the battery/charging lamp isn't a lamp, it's an icon in the EVIC. Hmmm can't say that I've noticed it at startup though...

Nouveau Redneck 05-03-2011 07:44 AM

The manual says that the battery check light on the EVIC display should come on when the ignition switch is first turned "On" and remain on briefly as a bulb check. I'll check the next time I get in, but I'm thinking that with the keyless press to start, the ignition switch may be in the "On" position as soon as it senses the key fob inside the vehicle so that the battery check light has already done its thing and is already off by the time that most people get around to pressing the Start button. I use the remote start on mine most of the time so I'm usually not even inside the vehicle to be able to see it if it did light up. I know that other self test lights do cem on when I press the start button after i have remote started it, but I don' remember the battery check light specifically.

Hollywood 05-03-2011 07:56 AM

Yeah, I always use the keyless entry and keyless press to start, and when I do press the button to start the vehicle, see a bunch of lights/bulb checks, but no battery/charging indicator lamp bulb check? :confused:

RageOfFury 05-03-2011 09:05 PM

I just checked on mine, no battery/charging icon in the EVIC nor in the instrument cluster at startup.

Hollywood 05-04-2011 05:08 AM

Thanks. I feel a little better now. :o

Damn Manual. That's the second time the information there has been inaccurate. First time was when I tried programming the key fob and the manual left a step out! :mad:

Tinkan 05-04-2011 09:53 AM

A good check if you want to see all the lights and information is to just do the following

1. Press the start button briefly (no foot on brake)
2. Press the start button again (no foot on brake) and all the dash will light up. Sort of like the ACC mode (not cruise control).

This will also allow you to sit in the car and just listen to the radio or mess with your navagation without having to start the vehicle.

RageOfFury 05-04-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkan (Post 408925)
A good check if you want to see all the lights and information is to just do the following

1. Press the start button briefly (no foot on brake)
2. Press the start button again (no foot on brake) and all the dash will light up. Sort of like the ACC mode (not cruise control).

This will also allow you to sit in the car and just listen to the radio or mess with your navagation without having to start the vehicle.

If you press the start button once without pressing on the brake you go into ACC mode. This powers a few accessories such as the radio, power windows. If you press the start button again, you go into ON mode. This is like having the engine running...but without the engine running.

Hollywood 05-04-2011 12:43 PM

But just to clarify, there is NO BATTERY / CHARGING ICON displayed / visible in any of these modes, correct?

Andrew Klossner 05-10-2011 06:19 PM

At the bottom of the EVIC display there are three icon areas: red, amber, and white. The manual says that, at startup, it will display the charging system icon in the red area. In fact, it displays the engine temperature warning icon there instead. It displays the low fuel icon in the amber area. The white area always shows the transmission state, one of PRNDL54321.

There's no actual bulb to test; these are just pixels in the EVIC, so it doesn't matter which icon is used to test them. A little annoying that the manual is wrong, and this isn't the only error. It's bad enough that, when I read in one place that you turn on the overhead light by pushing a button and in another that you push the light itself, I figured one of these was just wrong, a copy-and-paste error from another manual. I only found out otherwise -- there are really two different lights -- when a friend started playing around with the controls.