Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Rear Brembo brake upgrade on a Limited WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/rear-brembo-brake-upgrade-on-a-limited-wk-22678.html)

dcjeepgc 05-02-2011 08:14 PM

Rear Brembo brake upgrade on a Limited WK

4 Attachment(s)
Just installed a pair of 09 rear Brembo brake calipers on my WK. I got them from a local boneyard on an SRT that was already well picked through. I was also able to get one of the front knuckles/spindles for the future front Brembos. In the first pick you can see all the parts needed to do the rears. The backing plates are needed to give the calipers something to bolt onto. The rotors are different then the standard WKs being vented. I also put on rear SRT springs and sway bar, Bwoody end links and HD Bilsteins at the same time. Taking the rear rotors and hub bearings off was not too much of a problem for me but my good luck did not hold out for removing the old lower shock mount bolts or the old sway bar mounting bracket bolts. I had to invent new laws in physics to gain a force advantage over these in order to get them off. They were a bear! The whole thing took me about ten hours but I'm not a mechanic but a learn as I go garage wannabe. VERY PLEASED WITH THE TIGHTNESS I now feel in the ride due to the new shocks and SRT sway bar. I also like the look of the new four piston caliper Brembos. I know the color off set with my Deep Beryl Green Jeep is not very good but I still like them. I would certainly recommend this upgrade for anyone looking for a sportier look at the rear and less fade in braking. The springs dropped the rear about an inch and removed the rake from the stance. Some members leave it like this as they like the look. I still have to install the front Bilstein struts and SRT springs so the rake will be back as the front will drop an inch too. I was impressed how much a one inch drop effects the overall stance! Wasn't expecting it to be this noticable. Sorry it's in black and white. This was how my daughter's camera was set up and I didn't realise it until I put them up here. Kind of takes away from the look. Just imagine bright red calipers on a Deep beryl Green truck. I'm too lazy to do it all over again!
Attachment 7040

Attachment 7041

Attachment 7042

Attachment 7043

GR33N D3M0N 05-02-2011 08:19 PM

Re: Rear Brembo brake upgrade on a Limited WK

nice!

Scottina06 05-02-2011 08:31 PM

congrats!

SoCalMoparWK 05-02-2011 10:32 PM

dang good find and great mod...what did the yard charge you for the parts???

dcjeepgc 05-02-2011 10:51 PM

The calipers were $300 a piece with the brake hoses attached. Parts are typically more expensive up here in Canada. The calipers were in excellent condition as they appeared new in every way. The backing plates were $200 a piece and the rotors $150 for the pair. Not a cheap mod but certainly a "flashy" one. I will try to get color pictures up tomorrow as the black and white don't do them justice.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-02-2011 11:08 PM

nice work!

dcjeepgc 05-02-2011 11:18 PM

Thanks! I've been stiff as a board for the past two days. I could barely put my socks on this morning. Being in a crouched position pulling wrenches all day, and I'm not in the shape that I use to be, wasn't that great. As you guys know however, the mods are so much more satisfying when you do the work yourself. I saved a ton of money doing it in my garage.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-02-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeepgc (Post 408117)
Thanks! I've been stiff as a board for the past two days. I could barely put my socks on this morning. Being in a crouched position pulling wrenches all day, and I'm not in the shape that I use to be, wasn't that great. As you guys know however, the mods are so much more satisfying when you do the work yourself. I saved a ton of money doing it in my garage.

HAHAHAHA i know that feeling all too well! i always just imagine how much money i am saving in labor costs (although i end up spending the savings on other mods) and i know it was done correctly.

dcjeepgc 05-02-2011 11:48 PM

Yes, that's the biggest thing that you just pointed out. When we do the work ourselves we know that it is done RIGHT!

ItalianJeeper77 05-03-2011 05:17 PM

Good find!

misfit77 05-05-2011 04:52 AM

Do they make the jeep faster? Trail better?

I guess I am a cheap ass.

dcjeepgc 05-05-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 409491)
Do they make the jeep faster? Trail better?

I guess I am a cheap ass.

No! But they do make it look better, more unique and stop better. Not a mod for everyone that's for sure!