Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HELP! Spark plug problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/help-spark-plug-problems-22683.html)

dfwt70gt 05-02-2011 09:29 PM

HELP! Spark plug problems

Ok, I'm in the midst of changing my plugs. The rear passenger one is normally a pain fron what I read but I have a new problem. Half of the porcelain broke off and fractured inside of the plug hole. Nothing has gone into the engine because I can't get the spark plug socket onto the plug. Any ideas what I can use to get into that tight space and get the crap out? Its a tough space and I'm already using a mirror and tweezers. Nothing doing.

Please help. Any info is appreciated! Thanks guy

robpp 05-02-2011 10:01 PM

Re: HELP! Spark plug problems

vacuum

or something sticky like tape on a stick.

dfwt70gt 05-02-2011 10:09 PM

I've used about everything sticky I can think of. And a vacuum won't do it. The weird part is the shape of the last chipped piece is the shape of a C and is wedged with the middle on the end of the nut on the plug and the other ends are braced against the flat sides. Sorry for the vague explaination. I'm just freaking out because I've spent hours trying to get this one piece out and I'm having no luck.

Does anyone know of some small tool that could fit in that tight of a space and grab or even like a dental hook that could pull the piece out of its spot? This sucks!

Thanks for the suggestions though rob

05WK 05-02-2011 10:15 PM

Jerry rig an attachment onto the tip of your vac to reach inside. duct tape+slinder tube+vac hose= success??

dfwt70gt 05-02-2011 11:04 PM

Only problem with the vacuum idea is the piece is wedged around the bolt head of the plug. I need like a really small needle nose tool.

Who knew plugs could be such a pain! Its like I have an F150

NZ FLYER 05-03-2011 12:58 AM

Try an air gun with a long tube nozzle to help loosen or if you are lucky with enough pressure should blow broken parts out.:slapfight:

2005JGC 05-03-2011 01:39 AM

Compressed air (have something to protect from flying porcelain shards as they will shatter glass with very little motivation behine them). I highly suggest compressed air, a vacuum if you can get it really clean, the last thing you want to do is not get it all cleaned out, pull the plug out and allow some to fall into they cylinder.

A vacuum would work just fine too if you can jerry rig a decent hose that will allow you to really get down there well.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-03-2011 01:54 AM

make a hook out of a clothes hanger? i dont know how big the pieces are. try a small pick if you have a set of them?compressed air should work as well with the plug still blocking the hole.

dfwt70gt 05-03-2011 12:29 PM

So I got that stupid piece of crap out of there. Used a small dose of PB blaster and some small picks and got the chunk to come flying out. What a freaking pain! Put a very liberal dose of antisieze on that plug.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Really helped out.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-03-2011 01:27 PM

glad you got it out, that could have caused a big problem