Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Reverse light mods (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/reverse-light-mods-22757.html)

Sskafar 05-04-2011 01:27 PM

Reverse light mods

I want to modify my reverse lights on my wj and im just looking for opinions or other people who have done it. I back up a boat and trailer at night alot on dark ramps so looking for some better output. I may either do HID or was thinking it would pretty easy to retrofit a set of 9005 high beam silverstar bulbs in the reverse sockets as well and there would be no warm up time involved like HID. I would think they would be pretty bright and much better then stock. Has anyone done either and have any pictures to show light output?

Thanks

Scott

JeepMe 05-04-2011 01:47 PM

Re: Reverse light mods

I think the easiest thing to do would be to wire up some offroad fog lights on the roof and use them as backup lights.

HIDs don't like to be turned on and off a lot (that's why they aren't used in vehicle high beams). So I can't imagine they would last a long time as reverse lights. I also doubt the tail lights would like the head created from headlight bulbs.

lll2for3lll 05-04-2011 03:18 PM

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...k/b4c94078.jpg

Sskafar 05-04-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 409158)

Looks good! How do you like them? Is overall output of the area behind the car very well lit? Are those just v led LED replacement 3157 bulbs?

Thanks

lll2for3lll 05-04-2011 03:54 PM

Yeah. It's the brightest 3157 bulb they make. Haven't really be able to test them out yet. No night driving yet.

Sskafar 05-04-2011 04:23 PM

I contemplated those. But I know they cost about the same as an HID kit, and retrofitting some 65w silverstar high beams in the reverse sockets would probably be brighter then LED bulb output.

lll2for3lll 05-04-2011 05:30 PM

Yeah but I didn't want to deal with all that even though I could do it. I like the clean look of the LEDs. And yeah, they cost $80.

TJXJWJ 05-04-2011 09:01 PM

Subscribed....please post up what you end up doing. I've got a similar issue and would like some much brighter light when backing up without mounting off-road lights anywhere. Those VLEDs look like they'd work great, but I am curious about how a 9005 would fit too.

GR33N D3M0N 05-04-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 409130)
I think the easiest thing to do would be to wire up some offroad fog lights on the roof and use them as backup lights.

HIDs don't like to be turned on and off a lot (that's why they aren't used in vehicle high beams). So I can't imagine they would last a long time as reverse lights. I also doubt the tail lights would like the head created from headlight bulbs.

FWIW i'm pretty sure HID's run cooler than Halogens

JeepMe 05-05-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR33N D3M0N (Post 409384)
FWIW i'm pretty sure HID's run cooler than Halogens

It's true, they usually do. But they don't like being turned on and off without time to warm up. It significantly reduces their life.

GR33N D3M0N 05-05-2011 07:19 AM

oh yea, i know that much haha, which is why they're impractical for high beams, and IMO for reverse taillights unless you give it a second to warm up

Amelie 05-05-2011 08:26 AM

1) HID's in the Reverse bulb location is probably the dumbest mod you could do (Sure there are people who think their cool rocking it, But I can hardly think of any reason to justify it) Just as JeepMe mentioned, The hassle of trying to rig that up wouldn't be worth the reward, since you hardly ever need to reverse for prolonged periods of time so it would definitely put a strain on the capsule life.

2) As GR33N D3M0N mentioned, most people should know that installing an HID kit in the high-beam application is another god-awful idea. (I like the people that try to justify this one lol) Now if you were running a quad Bi-Xenon set-up that would be understandable.

3) As for installing Silverstar Ultra's in that location, haven't really heard nor seen anyone do that, But it would be interesting.

4) Does any sufficient lighting exist at this boat dock/ramp or is it like a private one?