Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Muffler Options? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/muffler-options-22789.html)

2005 WK 05-05-2011 01:59 AM

Muffler Options?

I currently have a rusted out muffler on my 4.7 and it is to loud and it rattles way to much to just leave it the way it is. Time to replace it but I don't know what I should replace it with. I don't want anything that is obnoxious loud but I do want to have a mild rumble to make it sound mean. I also only want to change out just the muffler, I don't want a whole cat-back system. My price range is $100-$150. What are some of my options for a muffler I could buy off the internet and just take to a shop and have them weld it on for me?

jeff05wk 05-05-2011 05:50 AM

Re: Muffler Options?

Flowmaster 50 Series SUV - Youtube it to hear it.

08limited 05-05-2011 04:36 PM

i had the 50 series on my old 04 with the 4.7 and it kinda sounded like a mustang,not to loud but definitley border line in your case,i had the shop move it further back for more of a rumble

2005 WK 05-06-2011 04:44 PM

thanks for the input. I don't really mind the mustang sound cause i personally like it but what does it sound like inside the cabin when accelerating. I just don't wanna have the drone like i currently have.

mjl2610 05-08-2011 10:49 AM

I have a walker quietflow ss and I think it is great. I had a dynomax super turbo and there was just too much highway drone while driving. I could not stand it. So i read about this walker muffler and i think it gives a nice sound on acceleration but quiet while cruising. NO highway drone which to me is important since i drive 40 miles one way to work a day.

I bought it on amazon and the shipping was free at the time. http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust...ar=1&carId=005

And it currently looks like there's a deal of some sorts so you might want to check it out. Id seriously consider the quietflow ss if you don't want drone while driving.

2005 WK 05-09-2011 01:04 AM

thanks mjl, im gonna have to watch some sound clips and decide between the queitflow and flowmaster. Im currently on vacation so I probably wont do anything until later next week but Ill post and let you guys know what I decide to go with.

chrischerns@gmail.com 05-10-2011 12:55 AM

how much would it usually charge for someone to weld it on?

jeff05wk 05-10-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischerns@gmail.com (Post 412090)
how much would it usually charge for someone to weld it on?

I paid $225 for the muffler, and installation. I think the muffler is about $100, so $125 for labor I suppose.

mjl2610 05-10-2011 07:11 PM

I went to a meineke muffler shop in Chicago and i was charged 85 after taxes i believe for it welded in.

2005 WK 05-11-2011 01:55 AM

I was thinking about getting the flowmaster 50 series but the thing is it has a single in and dual outs instead of a single in and single out. Would it be hard for a shop to bend some pipe to make dual tips out of the back (any interference from the axel or spare?) I do like the look of the dual tips and it is cheaper than just the single out. I can get the dual for $85 shipped as opposed to $130 for the single tip. Whats everyones opinion?

jeff05wk 05-11-2011 05:47 AM

My 50 series has a single in and single out. Just make sure you buy the right one.

You can do dual exhaust with no problems, but it'll cost you more.

2005 WK 05-11-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff05wk (Post 412824)
My 50 series has a single in and single out. Just make sure you buy the right one.

You can do dual exhaust with no problems, but it'll cost you more.

I did see that one but it cost more than Im getting the duals for so I figured Ill pay a little extra to have two pipes coming out the back. Either one i get, they will both work, its all about how much money I want to spend I guess. How do you like your flowmaster? To much drone? To loud? Did you notice a gain in horsepower and MPG?