Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730RHR and 4th gen Nano (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730rhr-and-4th-gen-nano-22816.html)

docluv01 05-05-2011 07:10 PM

730RHR and 4th gen Nano

I just picked up my overland with the RHR radio. No matter what I do, I cannot get the radio to recognize my nano....neither armrest, nor front USB. I did notice that the IPOD does charge......

I did confirm that a USB stick works perfect, and I can even copy music from usb stick....just the ipod wont recognize....

I saw some people havign issues with the 430N a while back, but got resolved with upgrades etc.

mine is brand spaking new..I dont get it :(

Is there something special I need to do? tried various cables etc :(

jamesdomagalski 05-05-2011 07:25 PM

Re: 730RHR and 4th gen Nano

See if you have the latest update for the nano. When I put an Alpine in my BMW I had to update the ipod to use all the features.

Radside 05-05-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docluv01 (Post 409832)
I just picked up my overland with the RHR radio. No matter what I do, I cannot get the radio to recognize my nano....neither armrest, nor front USB. I did notice that the IPOD does charge......

I did confirm that a USB stick works perfect, and I can even copy music from usb stick....just the ipod wont recognize....

I saw some people havign issues with the 430N a while back, but got resolved with upgrades etc.

mine is brand spaking new..I dont get it :(

Is there something special I need to do? tried various cables etc :(

The 430N connection problems haven't been fixed yet. There was an update but it only fixed the Sirius Travel Link problem.

docluv01 05-05-2011 07:27 PM

Yeah I did....its 1.1.3 :(

docluv01 05-05-2011 07:29 PM

Sorry...its 2nd generation nano...

docluv01 05-05-2011 08:49 PM

OK UPDATE:

I tried using my IPAD with a 10foot cable I got off ebay (meant for IPAD). Tried in front port, worked fine. Then tried in armrest port, and came for split second, then went away. would not recognize.

THEN, I tried a 6 foot IPAD cable (came with IPAD), tried in front and armrest, and it worked fine.

I tried the 2nd gen IPOD also but still would not work.

I do recall, before buyign the car, I tested my IPOD in a SUMMIT at a dealer, and it did work....but I believe it was an IPOD cable...which I can't find.

This could be a stab in the dark, but does anyone know if there is a difference between an IPAD and IPOD cable? The ony thing I did notice is that the IPOD cable had 2 tiny buttons on each side. The cable seemed to be a tad thinner too.

Any suggestions?

ColdCase 05-06-2011 05:34 AM

No difference in cables, except the iPad cable will handle more amps. Over the years you will find some differences. The buttons are connector latch releases, some have them, some mostly third party don't.

Some have noticed a loose USB cable connection at the back of the radio. After pushing the cable connector the whole way into the radio, things were fine.

The older RER had a special iPod connector I think, the newer RHR uses USB, no need for the special cable.

docluv01 05-06-2011 08:32 AM

Does anyone think cable length could be an issue? Especially with an older IPOD nano? Again, just speculating... Because with the IPAD, the 10 foot cable worked in headunit, but not in armrest. with 6 foot cable IPAD worked on both. Nano won't work on either. Even tried a 3 foot cable.

For shits and giggles, I may go pick up a 1 foot IPOD cable and try it...

Andrew Klossner 05-06-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docluv01 (Post 410057)
Does anyone think cable length could be an issue?

No. Cables can be any length up to five meters.

(I design USB devices at my day job.)

docluv01 05-06-2011 10:18 AM

Hi Andrew...thanks. Yeah I know the limit is 5 meters (approx 16 feet). Not sure how long teh usb cable is that goes from headunit to console.

must be something with 2nd gen nano...

spend 50k on a truck, and somethign as stupid as my ipod irritatign me! UGH haha

Anyone else with a nano?

Baxterdown 05-08-2011 09:23 AM

docluv01,

I have an iPod nano (4th generation) with the RHR. It is connected to the USB in the center armrest and it works perfectly. Make sure you use a good cable. I've had both Apple and 3rd party cables go bad due to the constant bending -- especially near the USB connector.

Andrew Klossner 05-09-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docluv01 (Post 410116)
Hi Andrew...thanks. Yeah I know the limit is 5 meters (approx 16 feet). Not sure how long the usb cable is that goes from headunit to console.

Thanks back! I forgot about the cable from the head to the console, and in fact that cable is now my primary suspect.

My second-gen iPod Touch doesn't work. It gets power and enumerates, so the cable is connected correctly, but it fails to read. I have current firmware in it and in the RHB. The iPod works perfectly with other hosts -- the stereo in my study connects to it and controls it. Thumb drives work perfectly in my center console jack.

All this points to a cable length problem. I ordered a seven-centimeter cable and expect to receive and test it on Wednesday.