Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Rear Bumper Step Pad (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/rear-bumper-step-pad-22820.html)

TJXJWJ 05-05-2011 09:13 PM

Rear Bumper Step Pad

OK, so I've got a bad case of the ashy rear bumper step pad. I've tried all the dressings and cleaners and am not satisified with the results.

I found new ones online cheap, so I ordered a replacement.

What would you guys suggest I do to it before installing it so I don't run into the same issue?

Keep in mind, winters here suck...bad.

suzieque 05-05-2011 09:44 PM

Re: Rear Bumper Step Pad

I would clean up the old piece and spray with gloss black fusion and see how long it lasts. gloss will look better in my opinion.

Clean it with lacquer thinner, then scuff pad, then with lacquer thinner clean again, then gloss black fusion.

TJXJWJ 05-05-2011 09:49 PM

I was gonna...but...if you only knew the amount of product I've used to try to revive this thing, you'd know there is no way I could get it stripped down enough to spray it and expect the paint to adhere.

I actually took it off and cleaned it with dish soap, then mineral spirits. Let it dry, wiped it down with alcohol...let it dry,then tried wrapping it and nothing would stick. Too much silicone crapola in the pores of the plastic I guess. So for $40, I just ordered a new one.

SoCalMoparWK 05-05-2011 09:51 PM

c/f bro...

DAVY27 05-05-2011 10:20 PM

was thinking the same thing about my rear step pad today. What i planning to do to mine is to paint it body color. degrease,sand,prime,basecoat and clear it. would love the c/f but i always have things going in and out of the trunk so it might scratch/ruin the c/f.

TJXJWJ 05-06-2011 07:25 AM

I'm not as worried about scratching as I am about sun fading and durability against salt and grime in the winter.

My problem with paint is if you chip it, you're screwed. If the vinyl gets effed up, I peel it off an re-wrap it. I'm just not sure on the durability of the stuff. I have it in my interior and it's great...but I don't know how it holds up to the elements.

GR33N D3M0N 05-06-2011 07:45 AM

just have to get automotive vinyl meant for the exterior

TJXJWJ 05-06-2011 07:53 AM

I believe Di-Noc is...but what the mfg says and how it actually holds up are usually 2 different things. Anyone out there with Di-noc wrapped exterior pieces that see some crappy weather?

SRTILL8 05-06-2011 08:00 AM

when i had my WJ i went through the rear pad twice...

the first time was cause i got tired of the grey faded look of the stock one- like you here. the next one i had to buy was cause the replacement i bought came a bit smaller on the both ends and doesnt match up quite as nice as the OEM piece... so i ordered another one OEM and it was perfect fit.

gl yo

Megatron 05-06-2011 08:01 AM

I Vote black. Damn you're gonna make me look at mine today. lol

TJXJWJ 05-06-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 410042)
I Vote black. Damn you're gonna make me look at mine today. lol

You're probably ok...

I don't know what they made the WJ ones out of, but they are terrible for fading. The bleach out from the sun and WE DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY FRIGGIN SUN IN CLEVELAND.

My wife's WK shows no signs of wear..

lll2for3lll 05-06-2011 10:18 AM

If you have an off-road set up, Rhino Line or Line X it.