Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Camper towing question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/camper-towing-question-22825.html)

csmets 05-05-2011 10:01 PM

Camper towing question

We have a 06 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, 4WD with class 4 tow package. We are looking at getting a camper (4000-5000 lbs dry weight, 26-30 ft bumper-to-hitch). I've heard that a short tow vehicle wheelbase can cause sway for a longer trailer. I was looking for others experiences towing a camper, and how long of a trailer I could comfortably tow with the GC. We are planning to use an weight distribution hitch with swaybar. Anyone have any experience of what works/doesn't work?

jeepnjeep 05-06-2011 08:31 AM

Re: Camper towing question

I'm no expert and have never towed anything that large but I'm thinking that may be a little long for the wheel base of a WK. Weight should be OK though. Definitely get the weight distributing hitch with sway control. Ask the place where you buy the camper or any place that sells campers for advice too. Good luck and enjoy.

MasterWK 05-06-2011 08:40 AM

My dad and I have done a lot of towing with my jeep, mainly our boat thats 5,000 pounds and just around 30 feet long. I'm not an expert either... However when towing, it is sometimes a bit of a trick to keep everything in the lane and all. But I would suggest doing upgrades to your trailer to aid with towing, especially trailer brakes. Otherwise it shouldn't be an issue!

kkuty 05-06-2011 09:19 AM

30ft is the about the max length Chrysler recommends. I towed a 20ft trailer/boat with my Laredo without any issues. I bought a Limited w/Hemi this year and don't anticipate any issues.

I'd consider looking at a weight distributing system.

AB Jeepster 05-11-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkuty (Post 410077)
30ft is the about the max length Chrysler recommends. I towed a 20ft trailer/boat with my Laredo without any issues. I bought a Limited w/Hemi this year and don't anticipate any issues.

I'd consider looking at a weight distributing system.

I think most states have a weight limit before you HAVE to have brakes on your trailer. I think the limit is between 1500 and 3000 lbs. I think Idaho is 1500 lbs. I had to install brakes on my motorcycle trailer because of that. You may need an equalizer hitch and brakes to control the sway you are anticipating.

MasterWK 05-11-2011 06:36 PM

Trailer brakes are a must, and most mid-large size campers would come with them.

kkuty 05-11-2011 06:46 PM

Most double axel trailers have at least surge brakes. But I agree, anything over 5k lbs would be trailer brakes.