Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Advice/Questions on Claybar (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/advice-questions-on-claybar-22831.html)

DAVY27 05-06-2011 12:28 AM

Advice/Questions on Claybar

This will be my first time claybarring. Read some how-to and watched several helpful clips and i THINK i can do it but read most people can marred their paint on their first time. I do have a DA so that might help later in the process? Few questions:
1)How necessary is claybar? My paint feels pretty smooth and looks to be in good condition.
2)What are the effects of claybar on the clearcoat?
3) Which claybar kit do you recommend? I'm looking at the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

My main concern is the marring or scratches caused by the claybar since this is my first time. Any advices/tips will be appreciated! :)

-Dave

Marlin 05-06-2011 12:30 AM

Re: Advice/Questions on Claybar

I can't help much except to say this;

for the waste of an entire day + on a weekend, I'd much prefer to part with a couple of hundred bucks and have a pro do the job right the first time :)
haha

TJXJWJ 05-06-2011 12:04 PM

Do your rocker area. Then look at the clay and see what it looks like. If you're going to have surface contaminants, that's where they will be...right behind the tires on the rocker panels. If you're satisfied with what you see, then no need to clay.

I've had a lot of luck with the stuff, even when I had to be more aggressive then I wanted to be.

Knead it often, and use smaller pieces. In case you drop one, you'll have more pieces to work with. Once you drop it, it's garbage.

White WK Swagga 05-06-2011 12:14 PM

Irfan is one of the best to ask on this subject. I did my cars about a year and 1/2 ago. Took a few hours. What I do know is make sure you keep the area wet with the detailed that you're doing. I think I'd wait till after the pollen season now Davy to be honest. But it def took all the little specs off the paint.

Oh and I'm pretty sure mothers and Megs are the same. Only one manufacturer has the patten for clay bar.

DAVY27 05-07-2011 09:23 AM

Marlin- True but beats walking aimlessly around the mall with the g/f lolol

Tony-Thanks for the tips Tony. when i do, I'll start on the part you mentioned and see how it goes. Ill give the sandwich bag method a try the next time i wash the jeep to see the condition of the paint.

Nate- Yea, ill def. hit up Irf on this. Good thinking on the pollen season, Im in no rush so ill probably give it a correction after semester ends or in the summer. Maybe we can all meet up in Irf's place and detail all our rigs...and the Prius :)

Marlin 05-08-2011 06:31 PM

haha, true Davy :)

Scottina06 05-08-2011 06:57 PM

I would be very careful unless you plan a FULL correction

DetailedImage.com 05-08-2011 07:12 PM

Check out the Clay Bar section of our detailing guide.

Marlin 05-08-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 411287)
I would be very careful unless you plan a FULL correction

I agree...... I had a pro do my GTR, .... THREE days he spent getting it absolutely gorgeous! He quoted $300 (about $250 American Pesos :p) and honoured his quote.
Personally, my time is worth much more than that, and I would never have replicated what he managed.
:thumbsup:

B.P.O.D 05-17-2011 12:37 PM

davy i'd wait till after pollen is gone like nate said. this pollen sucks by us!

Harrison@Stage6 05-17-2011 01:25 PM

I clay my Jeep at least once a year. I use the Gloss-It Green bar. The worst part on the WK is the rear of it by the rear hatch. The upper part gets just nasty. As long as you use a good QD when you clay it you should be fine. Never used the Megs bar personally. Good luck and happy claying.