Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Steering wheel removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/steering-wheel-removal-22887.html)

kerndone 05-07-2011 01:57 PM

Steering wheel removal

I have two questions for you guys...number one, what kind of puller do I need to get from the auto parts store. I stopped in there this morning and picked up a steering wheel puller but the one I received does not work with the WK steering wheel as there are no threaded holes in the frame.

Next question is regarding the steering wheel bolt. I see you are supposed to use a new one when you re-install the wheel. How important is this, or is it unnecessary? I marked the old bolt so I will be able to tighten it down appropriately, but I don't know if it deforms with the proper torque. And I unfortunately don't have my torque wrenches with me to ensure it is tightened down correctly.

Any insight is appreciated.

-Frank

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-07-2011 02:14 PM

Re: Steering wheel removal

i have removed my wheel several times and never used a puller. it comes off easily if you pull straight towards you. i bought a new bolt to use the last time that i replaced the wheel ($2.12 from the dealer) and you are supposed to torque them to 45ft/lbs. get a cheap torque wrench from harbor freight if you are worried about it. they are like $15

kerndone 05-08-2011 12:17 AM

Yeah, you must be one bad dude. I just watched several fights tonight and I consider myself primed and ready to pull that steering wheel off and it is not moving one bit. I commend you for not needing a puller because there is no way it is possible to remove this thing without some mechanical assistance.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-08-2011 02:04 AM

Hahaha

kerndone 05-08-2011 06:18 PM

Well, you were right. I was borrowing a friend's car to go find a puller that would work and I decided to give it one last try. I was able to get it to 'release' and then I wiggled it off the rest of the way. Now I have my steering wheel audio controls installed and I am pretty excited.

Thanks for the response and +REP for letting me know it could be done without a puller!

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-08-2011 06:53 PM

you must have had your wheaties today

Scottina06 05-08-2011 07:04 PM

I wouldnt have done it without a puller......

if you had damaged the threads on the wheel or the column....you would have to replace them.....LOL

kerndone 05-08-2011 10:07 PM

I would have rather used a puller, but with the layout on the '08+ it doesn't look like your typical steering wheel puller would work. A large jaw type puller would probably get the job done, and perhaps the auto parts store gave me the wrong kind of steering wheel puller. Either way, the only damage I can see being done would be from the brute force of pulling the wheel off. With the puller at least you are applying constant controlled pressure.

Damaging the steering wheel would be bad news; I don't think I would be laughing in that situation. :)