Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Those with 55w HID's, Do you have to use a relay? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/those-with-55w-hids-do-you-have-to-use-a-relay-22895.html)

Amelie 05-07-2011 06:22 PM

Those with 55w HID's, Do you have to use a relay?

I have been running a 55w 4500k kit from DDM for the last 8 months and no problems whatsoever other than a few times where the relays weren't touching the battery terminals and they would sometimes shut off while driving when I would hit a bump in the road lol. Would it be safe to run a 55w without a relay? Anyone do it?

MasterWK 05-07-2011 06:25 PM

Re: Those with 55w HID's, Do you have to use a relay?

its safe if they'll start and stay on... the relay only draws power from the battery for startup. give it a shot. if they don't work, then use the relay again.

Amelie 05-07-2011 06:28 PM

Alright man thanks, I'll try it out and let you know

JeeponDUBS 05-07-2011 06:34 PM

on a WJ you might need the relay with extra fuse in line to help any flicker/pulse issues. And yes the relay helps with start up issues as well.

DAVY27 05-07-2011 06:46 PM

i have a relay for my lows for the 55ws

Amelie 05-07-2011 06:50 PM

I'm positive they are hooked up right to the stock harness and they won't even fire, I don't understand what happened in one night to do all this lol. Do you think both my ballasts might be bad, I don't know what to think

MasterWK 05-07-2011 11:49 PM

After reading your other thread, i think your ballasts are shot. Time to switch to xenondepot!

Chaoul1 05-08-2011 06:47 AM

On my WJ I didn't have to use relays. I had no problems whatsoever BUT I had 35W HID's!!!!!!!!!!!! This is completely up to you if you want to install Relays. I would recommend doing it since I never put 55W's in anyways!

Amelie 05-08-2011 09:36 AM

@DAVY27: I figured since your Jeep is a 2009 they would come with a thicker gauge wire harness than previous generations so you wouldn't need a wire harness, But you can't hate having peace of mind when running it lol.

@Chaoul1: I still like the peace of mind while using the relay harness but hate the cluster of wires lol

@MasterWK: lol, I thought both ballasts were shot too until I took everything out and my halogen's wouldn't turn on even with the stock harness lol. I think I need to replace both fuses. I have considered getting a XenonDepot kit before. I know they're a very reputable dealer and a lot of people on here love them, I just haven't given them a shot yet.

Frango100 05-08-2011 02:12 PM

Not sure if the HID's draw a higher current when starting up, because the normal low beam halogen bulbs are 55 W as well and the jeep already has a lowbeam and highbeam relay, which is made for the 55 W.

heehawbus 05-08-2011 05:17 PM

not sure if its related to a relay harness or not but back in my WJ i had a set of 35w's wired up without the relay and eventually (about a year later) one of the ballasts blew up.. opened it up to see what failed and looks like a capacitor failed and vented everywhere, stunk too..

Amelie 05-08-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heehawbus (Post 411225)
not sure if its related to a relay harness or not but back in my WJ i had a set of 35w's wired up without the relay and eventually (about a year later) one of the ballasts blew up.. opened it up to see what failed and looks like a capacitor failed and vented everywhere, stunk too..

Probably just from regular use, but that's interesting though. How's the new WK treating you? :)