Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Sirius sound quality? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/sirius-sound-quality-22919.html)

shamus 05-08-2011 09:43 AM

Sirius sound quality?

This is my first experience with satelite radio and although I love the selections, the sound is quite lacking... Am I alone?

KidFresh5.7 05-08-2011 11:22 AM

Re: Sirius sound quality?

Not alone, my stereo is much louder and crisp when playing CD's and my Ipod vs. Satellite

heehawbus 05-08-2011 05:25 PM

ya ive noticed that the sirius in the new one is 'eh' at times.. some times ill lose sat signal when theres no over head obstructions anywhere, weird. in my wj with the rb1 and xm everyonce and a while id be able to tell when the terrestrial repeaters wernt being picked up and it was all sat signal (maybe) but it would sound like a loss in bit rate, like say 192k to 96k..

Maybe its because the boston system is better than the infinity but you can tell the difference between the sat and cd's for sure, cds are far better.. my friends Ma had an ss monte carlo (2004ish) with the xm built in and it always sounded amazing, i was hoping the stock sirius in the srt would be comparable but it just isnt for some reason, oh well, still sounds ok enough..

on a side note, did anyone ever figure out the secret key press combo on the REC to get to the audio setting menu??

RageOfFury 05-08-2011 05:53 PM

Yeah the sound quality is...so so. It's inferior to FM radio.

Sirius > FM > CD/high bitrate MP3s

shamus 05-09-2011 08:20 AM

Im a little shocked that sound quality isnt better than FM?

KidFresh5.7 05-09-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 411242)
Yeah the sound quality is...so so. It's inferior to FM radio.

Sirius > FM > CD/high bitrate MP3s

are those arrows or greater than symbols?

RageOfFury 05-09-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidFresh5.7 (Post 411576)
are those arrows or greater than symbols?

Yeah I kinda screwed up that one lol. What I meant by that is that Sirius has the worst sound quality and CD/high bitrate MP3s have the best sound quality.

Technosavant 05-09-2011 12:41 PM

I've found sat radio to be similar, if not a touch inferior, to a *really* good FM signal. Serviceable, but hardly something you'd use for those times you really want to lose yourself in the music.

Andrew Klossner 05-09-2011 01:00 PM

This post gives the individual channel bit rates. The music stations are allocated 40 kbps. For comparison, a crappy MP3 file uses 128 kbps; the average listener needs 256 kbps or better to avoid digital artifacts. An analog FM radio station has quality equivalent to 64 kbps.

It's a limitation of the receiving antenna. If we could mount parabolic satellite dishes on our rigs and keep them pointed at the satellite, we'd have plenty of bandwidth for high fidelity audio.

mabeaton 05-11-2011 10:29 AM

I only listen to Sirius for CNBC, sports, and Playboy/Spice channels. . . Not necessarily in that order! ;) but, seriously, Sat radio has always been lacking in the fidelity department!

JeepeeJ 05-12-2011 08:21 PM

"Digital quality" doesn't mean good audio quality. And their "near-CD quality" claim is total BS.

The only reason I have them is content (about 6 stations only). Testicle radio plain sucks in DC/Balt. area along with NYC as well. The death of HFS did it for me.

Ef commercials and Madison!