Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Optima Red Top (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/optima-red-top-22920.html)

TheGeek 05-08-2011 09:47 AM

Optima Red Top

1 Attachment(s)
Just got an Optima Red Top for my 2001 WJ. The guy at Autozone said there wasn't really any specific one for my model, so it was kind of a crap shoot picking one. My question is, for those that have one, how did you mount yours? Mine comes with 3 different mounting clips. The instructions call for the 2 double humped ones for a 65 series battery (which I think is what the old battery was), but I haen't tried mounting it yet. Anyone have any pics? And did you have any hood clearance issues?

TheGeek 05-08-2011 04:47 PM

Re: Optima Red Top

Okay, figured this out. Two double humped brackets snap on each side of the battery (one per side), single hump bracket not used. Factory hold down bracket bolts down where it was. Have to use both double hump brackets because optima battery is not as wide as stock and doesn't catch the tray lip without them. Problem solved. No hood clearance problems either (8" to top of posts).

Amelie 05-08-2011 05:05 PM

Any particular reason why you went with an Optima Red Top? Just curious

TheGeek 05-09-2011 12:26 PM

I had a previous smaller battery that I just purchased a month ago (car was totalled, battery was never installed), that I was able to return to Autozone for a $90 credit. My Jeep had a pretty crappy leaking battery in it. So if I weren't able to return the other battery, it would've been a loss (tiny compared to the Jeep battery). So, I can look at it as I spent $80, returned something I couldn't use, and got an Optima.
Red top is standard, normal everyday use, Yellow and Blue are not.
To answer your question, I needed to buy a new battery anyway, so with the credit, I knew if I didn't get one now I probably never would. You get what you pay for, so I got a better battery for the price of a regular one. It's nice to know it's there for winter time (gets cold in Ohio) that's never going to leak, and not make a huge corrosion mess under my hood.

TJXJWJ 05-09-2011 01:34 PM

I've had nothing but Optima Reds in all my prior Jeeps, and they've all fired up whenever I needed them (also a victim of OH winters).

The battery that came in my WJ though is still very strong, so I'm going to ride it out.

Sir Sam 05-09-2011 11:34 PM

I've had three red tops all crap out on my within a year or two of manufacture date. Redtops hate being discharged and are very sensitive to voltage drops. If your like me and like to run your radio for a few hours when camping or working outdoors you will likely kill a redtop within a year.

IMO for the money get a good lead acid battery, cheaper, better quality, more cranking amps etc.

lll2for3lll 05-09-2011 11:57 PM

I was think about Optima yellow top to match everything else under the hood. Anybody have the yellow top in a Jeep?

Sir Sam 05-10-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 412075)
I was think about Optima yellow top to match everything else under the hood. Anybody have the yellow top in a Jeep?

Lots of people run them, generally its considered to be a better battery than the red top because it has the same number of CCA as the red top, but is a deep cycle, meaning it's less likely to be killed if you run your radio for a fe hours in the evening.

206WJ 05-10-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 412075)

I run 2 of them in my WJ, and LOVE them!!

Worked great with just 1 and my a/v system too, but then I added the winch, compressor, lights and another amp.... So long story short I added another. I just can't risk being stuck on a trail due to a battery.